Java(TM) - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums
Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums  

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Java(TM)

How Java (TM) shall work?
chirad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Google's Chromebook FAQ page says Java won't be supported, which ties into what it says about client software.

It also says that Silverlight won't be supported, even though Chromebooks are said to be Netflix-ready.
Droymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droymac View Post
Google's Chromebook FAQ page says Java won't be supported, which ties into what it says about client software.

It also says that Silverlight won't be supported, even though Chromebooks are said to be Netflix-ready.
I heard that Netflix is trying to transition to using HTML5 to play videos. There's also some plugin allow this on Chromebooks.
geeman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

That would be great news. I think that in order to be a success with the mainstream consumer, Chromebooks need to GIVE you a new experience AND do what people are used to. If they can't do Netflix, that's just one more chink in the armor. Whether you use it or not, I think it's a huge part of the online experience for a lot of people.

I hope Google gives people a reason TO get a Chromebook instead of reasons NOT to. (I think they're on the right track).
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman89 View Post
I heard that Netflix is trying to transition to using HTML5 to play videos.
That was my first thought when I heard Chromebooks are going to be Netflix-ready. HTML5 is some pretty awesome stuff...
Droymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

No Java support for Chromebook doesn't sound right. Aren't there a large number of websites which run on Java?
SteveGeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Html5 uses JavaScript! It is the Ogg file, that works in Firefox, Opera and Chrome and not the MPEG4 and WebM. Netflix needs to write there code like this.

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls">
<source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg" />
<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<source src="movie.webm" type="video/webm" />
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Simple fix! Not Chromebook problem. Microsoft just thinks they can bully everyone has to do everything there way

al
alhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhanson View Post
Html5 uses JavaScript! It is the Ogg file, that works in Firefox, Opera and Chrome and not the MPEG4 and WebM. Netflix needs to write there code like this.

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls">
<source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg" />
<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<source src="movie.webm" type="video/webm" />
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Simple fix! Not Chromebook problem. Microsoft just thinks they can bully everyone has to do everything there way

al
Yes but HTML5 doesn't have support for DRM which means you could right click save as...and download the movie...if that happens Studio's kill Watch Now.

Digital Right Management is required for copywrited works. That is life. Before Netflix used to use plugin but they dumped it for Silverlight because playback worked better on more stuff (Mac and Windows). They also have a background API that that streams to IOS and Android. It has special signed keys that allow access to the service. Netflix is fully HTML5 now but video support won't be...ever...there is no standards for encrypted DRM in HTML and there shouldn't be...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Netflix Chrome Book Log-in</title>
</head>

<section>

<embed src="https://signup.netflix.com/Login?country=1&rdirfdc=true" width="900" height="780" />

</section>
</html>

Netflix puts a link in there log-in page to this Page above "Netflix Chrome Book Log-in". The whole netflix site becomes embedded in the above html5 page. I imagine background API that that streams to IOS and Android would now streams to Chrome Book. Silverlight sucks. Your logic alludes me, if the Netflix site is running on HTML5 how would encrypted DRM work?

My point is if your put this above page on your own domain you could login in to netflix and watch movies on your Chrome Book too. This is the power of the embed tag in html5.
alhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhanson View Post
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Netflix Chrome Book Log-in</title>
</head>

<section>

<embed src="https://signup.netflix.com/Login?country=1&rdirfdc=true" width="900" height="780" />

</section>
</html>

Netflix puts a link in there log-in page to this Page above "Netflix Chrome Book Log-in". The whole netflix site becomes embedded in the above html5 page. I imagine background API that that streams to IOS and Android would now streams to Chrome Book. Silverlight sucks. Your logic alludes me, if the Netflix site is running on HTML5 how would encrypted DRM work?

My point is if your put this above page on your own domain you could login in to netflix and watch movies on your Chrome Book too. This is the power of the embed tag in html5.
Authentication is not the same thing as encryption.
Netflix need both.
They need you to log in, so that they know who you are and hence are entitled to rent movies. They also need encryption to ensure that when you rent a movie, they can be sure you won't save a local copy which would be easy for you to share with your thousands of friends!

Authentication doesn't need any clever browser tech and works on just about anything. The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed is hard and not in the HTML5 standard.
russcasey is offline   Reply With Quote