Virus protection - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums
Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Virus protection

I've looked around but not seen this mentioned. I currently have paid virus protection on my laptop, and I still lost everything a few weeks ago to a nasty bug. What's available/offered for this problem on the Chromebook?
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Don't need adding virus protection on your end. Google will take care of it themselves on their end. ChromeOS on the hard drive will be securely checked each time you boot your Chromebook.
Ronaldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Ronald, that's a really good thing to hear. I am still smarting from having lost lots of good bookmarks, photos and documents. Even though important things were backed up I have no way of getting back the other stuff.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Also to add to what has already been said, you don't need antivirus protection on a chromebook since nothing "executes" on your computer. It's all in the cloud. Servers like Google's servers are scanned all the time and what not, plus your files even if they're infected, it wouldn't matter, you'll be using online editors with the files, they don't "execute" the files even on the server end. They simply parse through the code of the file and recreate it for the browser. Thus even if you had infected files your computer would never get harmed, nor would Google's servers(unless a hacker was extremely clever)
TheWebTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now, that would be a something to interest me. I, too, recently lost everything and had virus protection. I would love to just be able to look at things and not have to worry.
bells-n-whistles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

It sounds great to not have to worry about virus protection. I am paying so much a year to keep my computer and files safe because you never know when you might click on the wrong link and end up destroying your computer!
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Rogue hyperlinks

Today, for the first time, some of the hyperlinks (not all) on some of the pages (not all) lead to different sites such as monster.com.
How do I fix this issue?
dschubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Windows users have endured the virus threat for many years. I'm not sure why except that many don't know there is an alternative operating system. The linux kernel which Chrome OS is based on has been relatively virus free up to now. The Chrome OS is even more secure than the standard linux distributions. Only one hacker AFIK has been successful in hacking Chrome OS. And he was doing so to assist Google in keeping things secure.

Last edited by jheaton5; 11-29-2013 at 11:51 AM.
jheaton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've had my Acer Chromebook for 1 day - have downloaded nothing that I can think of - but Snap-Do has already wormed its way in. How do I remove it?
chhille is offline   Reply With Quote