Google Chromebook Forums banner

Welcome new members! Introduce yourself!

2M views 209 replies 154 participants last post by  PussEKatt 
#1 ·
Welcome all new members! ChromebookForums is soon to become the #1 largest Google Chromebook Forums, and we are supported by some of the top Google and Android enthusiasts! We are super-excited to be here for you guys, and to launch this site for the Chromebook.

At first we see only three Chromebook models: the old CR48, the Acer Chromebook HD, and the Samsung Chromebook but we expect within 6-12 months that there will be a plethora of new models from various manufacturers. We will be creating unique forum sections for each new model that comes out.

If you have any suggestions for new forum sections, please feel free to PM me with your suggestions!

Please introduce yourself, let us know who you are, where you are from, what kind of computer you currently have, and where your interest in the Chromebooks stands.

Welcome everyone!

ChromebookForum.com Admin

#65 ·
Hail from Boston!
Chromebooks (and cloud computing) are a really exciting prospect for the future and I hope it takes off =)

Can a Chromebook remote desktop? Like that anything that can't currently be done in the cloud or with apps still be done remotely from a Chromebook...?

#67 ·
Hi all,
I've not purchased a Chromebook yet, but intend to if I can confirm a couple of details (see other threads!). I currently use a Windows 7 HTPC in the living room and a laptop+extra screen for work. Work is mostly from home but 3-4 days a month I'll be on the road.

I'm looking to use the Chromebook as a replacement for my big plastic paving slab of a laptop. Most of my work is with web applications, and the Chrome browser is the main application I use.

#68 ·
Howdy from Los Angeles, CA

Pre-ordered a Samsung WiFi model but I'm still awaiting shipment. :/

I'm an Application/Web Developer and also try to be a minimalist. I currently have a old Sony Vaio SZ330p but I don't really take it along with me when I travel. One of the main reasons for this purchase is that sometimes having this would be more suitable during travel than looking up for stuff on my Android phone.

#70 ·
Hi everybody - I thought I'd post again in more detail!

I've been working on the software business in the UK for about 20 years - most of that with web technology. I've been a key follower of Google and drove my company to migrate to using Google apps several years ago, and have never looked back.

Most of what we do now is on the web - our company has almost no internal infrastructure at all. After getting rid of our email servers, our CRM, internal knowledge base, project management system and even our source code and test frameworks have moved online.

I'm excited about Chromebooks as I love the idea of a simple, commodity personal machine that takes no time at all to setup and use. I've been finding ways to put systems online for years, and as I reach the point where everything goes there the Chromebook is the logical choice for a computing device.

I plan to get a ChromeBook for the 3-5 days a month I work with customers, but I can't quite get rid of a desktop. I need Skype for voice over IP (no Google voice in the UK), and there is no Skype client for chromeos/HTML5 yet. I've also been using dual displays for years and I understand there is no support for extended displays in Chromeos - I'm hoping that one will get sorted soon.

In preparation for getting my hands on a shiny new series 5 I've been playing about with my home machine, and think I have solutions to most of the issues I'll face. I'm setting up "Wake on LAN" to enable me to start my home desktop from anywhere in the world just by opening a bookmark. I've setup ThinVNC for remote desktop access, and am also fiddling with dropbox+sourcekit for editing code remotely and Tonido for streaming my media and photos.

#71 ·
i got the samsung 3G early in June 10th from gilt.com and have been putting it thru its paces since then. i am a heavy apple user (iphone4, MBP, and ipad2) and wanted to give google cloud/chromeOS a try; i went ahead and purchased the 80GB/yr for $20 additional storage.

i am using it as my primary work notebook now, previously i was using the ipad2 for that purpose. it's been working great so far. the only thing i miss is citrix access, which i heard will be coming soon from citrix.

all in all, it's a nice little notebook.

#72 ·
Hello

My family is looking to consolidate our phones and computers to one operating system. We currently use non smart Verizon phones and various PC desktop and laptops. Xp, Vista and 7 plus one Ipod.

We are leaning towards Apple, but Chromebook and Andriod seems to be the answer to Apple with the freedom and familialy of the PC if the speed and ease of use is true.

We're Looking

#73 ·
Hello everyone!

I am Jason. I work for a large company doing IT Arch Design and Implantation. Also I will post a ton because when I find a community I love to share quick opinions. Sorry about any bad grammar or misspellings now I usually surf at work and am working on 3 or 4 things at once..

Chromebooks are a very interesting new tech toy for me. I think that for Enterprise they could be great...

#76 ·
I joined this forum this week and I am really enjoying seeing everyone's excitement about the Chromebook. I ordered mine on launch day and got it last week. So far I am loving the experience.
My personal story is probably much different from most. I am a history teacher, but spent 6 years in the technology industry in Houston (mostly energy and chemical company experience there). Also I have been diagnosed in the past year with Multiple Sclerosis. So I was looking for a computer that "just works" and provides the web quickly and simply. Although I do own 3 other computers in my house (Ubuntu Linux, Windows 7) and an Android Phone). I wanted to see what Google's approach would be like.
I have been very pleased so far. Here is my first day review: 40: My new Chromebook

#77 ·
How to buy Chromebook in Vietnam?

Hi all,

Please advise how to get Chromebook in Vietnam with reasonable price and short time delivery.

I like Titan Silver Samsung Chromebook wi-fi version.
I search on ebay with price now 500$ + shipping 79$. While original price is just 430$.

Thank you,
Phuong.