Help me decide if a Chromebook is for me! - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Help me decide if a Chromebook is for me!

I really like the idea of having a Chromebook. I'm already a Linux user, I'm running Xubuntu right now and love it. I also already use the Google office products exclusively, but I also use Inkscape a lot and the Gimp a fair amount as well. Also, my preferred Bible app is Linux based.

I'd like to upgrade to a new laptop, but don't want to buy a laptop just to wipe Windows and install Linux. There are a few companies out there selling laptops with Ubunutu pre-installed, but they're pricey. If I could just run those 3 apps on Chrome OS I'd be set. I know you can dual boot a Chromebook, but that seems like a lot of hassle for 3 app.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 AM

I do website development, graphic design and write for a news/media website. I do everything exclusively on a Chromebook. I have Ubuntu installed specifically for inkscape and it runs like a champ. The cost effectiveness of Chromebooks combined with the security and speed, in my opinion, make them the best option out there for what I do. And with the addition of Androidapps later this year to many Chromebooks there's really nothing you won't be able to use them for.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:26 AM

And if you don't want to dual boot there are some great Chromeapps like Boxy that can do a ton of image editing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 AM
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I watched that video, pretty interesting. Is there really an advantage of running Ubuntu inside/next to Chrome OS over just reformatting with Ubuntu as the main OS?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 AM

Chromebook is next to amazing
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 PM

i noticed i was just on chrome browser 90% of the time on my laptop.... so i just picked up an R11

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page