What happens when and if a Chromebook crashes? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums
Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What happens when and if a Chromebook crashes?

I got curious and searched online and apparently, if it crashes, it is replaced. If in addition there are any updates on the software, they would automatically be in the cloud.

Will replacing every Chromebook that crashes work or is Google trying to tell us the rate will be very minimal?
kngeiywo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moe

Since they are hardware light the chances of a crash are minimal. Even if it does, since it stores your information on the cloud, you won't lose your data.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with you Moe, but I have reason to believe as much as the chances are minimal, there will be a few instances of crashing. Perhaps Google will access the nature of damage before replacement?
pelloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngeiywo View Post
I got curious and searched online and apparently, if it crashes, it is replaced. If in addition there are any updates on the software, they would automatically be in the cloud.

Will replacing every Chromebook that crashes work or is Google trying to tell us the rate will be very minimal?
You are just a wee bit confused here...

Only businesses and schools that lease Chromebooks with a subscription plan are eligible for the replacement plan you are talking about. Individual consumers -WILL NOT- have new Chromebooks sent to them if theirs crashes.

You don't have much to worry about...there isn't really anything -TO- crash on a Chromebook.
Droymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A hardware fault should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If a glitch in chrome or a web page causes a crash the device will reboot in 8 seconds.

A windows machine can have other problems.. virus infection, fragmentation, registry problems etc. Chromeos is far, far less vulnerable to these issues by design and they shouldn't be a problem.

Does that answer your question or is there another scenario you are concerned about?
russcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A hardware fault should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If a glitch in chrome or a web page causes a crash the device will reboot in 8 seconds.

A windows machine can have other problems.. virus infection, fragmentation, registry problems etc. Chromeos is far, far less vulnerable to these issues by design and they shouldn't be a problem.

Does that answer your question or is there another scenario you are concerned about?
russcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droymac View Post
You are just a wee bit confused here...

Only businesses and schools that lease Chromebooks with a subscription plan are eligible for the replacement plan you are talking about. Individual consumers -WILL NOT- have new Chromebooks sent to them if theirs crashes.

You don't have much to worry about...there isn't really anything -TO- crash on a Chromebook.
I guess I was a little bit confused about the replacement plan as well. I have a notion in mind that the Chromebook will be less susceptible to crashing than any machine running on Windows.
rkaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dee

It seems to me that just the fact that it isn't Windows will make it crash 99% less often! Any device I've seen that runs Windows of any ilk has to be rebooted regularly, but most other OSs have little or no problems with crashes or even freezes.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't understand how Chromebook will crash. Usually, it's only the OS that crashes and since the ChromeOS is a web-based OS, I think that it is not the machine that crashes. Web-browsers do crash but they don't affect any file except for your activity online at the time of crashing.
chroming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

The OS is very simple. there isnt very much that can go wrong and"crash" even if there were there is a reset switch or something i belive? or a re-load of the software. As for your information 90% of it would be stored online the 10% on your 16gb ssd which isnt much...
Driod is offline   Reply With Quote