Google Chromebook Forums banner

tethering android to chromebook?

63K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Dee 
#1 ·
Is it relatively easy to tether an android smartphone to the chromebook? I have a galaxy s phone with unlimited data plan and was hoping to tether instead of buying the 3g chromebook.

Thanks!

#3 ·
You have two options:

Your first option is to add T-Mobile's Wi-Fi tethering plan to your account, which is an extra $15/mo. Your second option, which is what I did (I have a Galaxy S 4G), is to root your phone and install an app that allows Wi-Fi tethering with root access. I had no clue what I was doing when I rooted my phone, but it turned out to be a lot simpler than I expected.

I assumed you are with T-Mobile. That in mind, know that T-Mobile has a data cap of 5 gigabits. Fortunately they don't charge extra for going over, but they will switch you from 4G to Edge (aka 2G) for the remainder of that billing cycle if you do happen to cap out.

#4 ·
Tether, either by PDAnet or other app turns your phone in a USB modem. The operating system that you plug it into must first actually look for internet access at the USB connection and second, be able to recognize the USB device as a modem. From the promo material I have read so far, the USB connection is evolving, and from what I've read as of a couple days ago (16Jun2011), the answer is no.

Two things. One, there is always some hacker out there who wants to do the same thing you want (have your Chromebook recognize your cell phone) and has the tools to make it happen. YMMV. Second, Droymac is talking about turning your phone into a wifi hotspot. The phone would act as a wireless router, you would log in and be connected to the web via your phone's data plan. There are ways to do this without paying the $15/month. Again, YMMV.

#5 ·
Droymac is talking about turning your phone into a wifi hotspot. The phone would act as a wireless router, you would log in and be connected to the web via your phone's data plan. There are ways to do this without paying the $15/month. Again, YMMV.
Wireless tethering is the only way to access your phone's data connection via Chromebook at the moment. PDAnet works great for Windows machines, and is also a lot easier than rooting your phone, but Chromebooks don't have the driver support needed to use such a program.

I wrote a full review on my experience with my new Chromebook that can be read here. It covers data tethering and more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.