Google Chromebook Forums banner

Wifi compatibility/ setup

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  jwf2.tao 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of ordering the Acer as a stand alone cpu. I have road runner internet on order, must buy a router....will I have problems setting up the router with no cpu to run a start disk for the router.
Thanks, I'm on hold until I get some HELP!
Thanks....

#2 ·
The basic set up of a router does not require the disk - what you will need is a set up sheet that you input manually.

What may be a bigger problem is some - if I recall correctly - do not permit setup with a wireless connection to stop an outsider from guessing the password and changing the setup.

You may need to borrow a friends portable to do the setup in any case.

#5 ·
thx russ....do you have the acer? any experience to share?
I have the wifi only Acer, it seems to be ok so far. I'm mostly using it as a web surfing pc while I watch tv. I am not one of those trying to give up traditional pcs and go web only (yet). I'll be taking it on vacation later this year and will be forced to live web only at that time.

Cheers...
Russ

#7 ·
... disabled. cheapest way I can figure to get back in the game, but for personal use only. mahalo...
I don't know that I would recommend a Chromebook as a cheap way to get on the web. Being early adapter means paying more for one than for a cheap laptop. Maybe in a year or two the price will come done with competition but for now you'll pay a bit extra.

Cheers...
Russ

#8 ·
wifi

got my road runner installed today, rec'd mediabridge router and my cb. all is good- 5 bars reception on my front porch! better svc for my phone too! I live in hawaii where wireless is always trblsome. desparately need skype, using imo and having probs with aud/vid settings. no live help so waiting for email responses, but so far excellent. by the way, mediabridge customer svc the best i have seen in quite a while. cheers....:)

#9 ·
got my road runner installed today, rec'd mediabridge router and my cb. all is good- 5 bars reception on my front porch! better svc for my phone too! I live in hawaii where wireless is always trblsome. desparately need skype, using imo and having probs with aud/vid settings. no live help so waiting for email responses, but so far excellent. by the way, mediabridge customer svc the best i have seen in quite a while. cheers....:)
I'm having the same trouble with imo.im - I've followed the advice on their blog about tweaking the flash settings, but can't get audio or video working on incoming or outgoing calls. I've also had no response over email :(
Chatroulette works so it isn't a hardware problem.

Hopefully they will fix it soon, or a competitor will come along and make it so they don't have to. A Skype Extension would be brilliant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.