Google Chromebook Forums banner

Wireless mouse

72K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Tyler Durden 
#1 ·
Will a wireless mouse work with the Chromebook? Such as the Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 which uses a USB transceiver.

#4 ·
I'm glad to hear it will work since the system requirements say that it needs Windows and a CD drive to load the Intellipoint software (after all it has four way scrolling and five progamable buttons). I've ordered one and I'll post a review later.

#6 ·
It works

The Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 works fine on you Samsung Chromebook. All the buttons use the default actions. Just plug in the USB transceiver and it's ready to go.

On my desktop running Windows 7 as soon as I plugged in the transceiver the computer went to Microsoft.com and downloaded the driver and the Intellimouse software, used to customize the buttons (not all that useful).

........ from Amazon for $30.

#7 ·
Wow, then what would we say is the Chromebook's disadvantage? Just the fact that there is no option of saving your stuff nowhere apart from the cloud?

I think I am going to get the wireless mouse; it is something I have always purposed to have for a long time.

#8 ·
Does wireless mouse deactivate the touch pad?

I am a touch typist and the heals of my hands rest on or near the touch pad on a standard laptop. The touch pad on the Chromebook is huge and I know I'll have problems with that pad unless there is a way to turn it off.

Does the presence of a wireless mouse radio in the USB port disable the touch pad?

If not is there a way to kill it?

If the pad can be disabled I'll buy one in the morning. I already do everything on the cloud.

#9 ·
I am a touch typist and the heals of my hands rest on or near the touch pad on a standard laptop. The touch pad on the Chromebook is huge and I know I'll have problems with that pad unless there is a way to turn it off.

Does the presence of a wireless mouse radio in the USB port disable the touch pad?

If not is there a way to kill it?

If the pad can be disabled I'll buy one in the morning. I already do everything on the cloud.
I'm a touch typist too, and haven't had any problems - even when wearing cuff links (french cuffs to you americans - we English types don't do dressing down very well). Unless you have wrists like tree trunks you should be fine!

#10 ·
The problem I used to have with touchpad devices on notebook computers had to do with the tap-to-click function. When I would pause typing to think (should probably have done that more often), my hand would touch the touchpad and click it, thus moving the cursor somewhere else. When I resumed typing, my characters would go into some random place in the document. I turned off the tap-to-click function and resolved that issue.

The Samsung CB has that turned off by default and has a press-to-click function that is not prone to accidental clicking with just a light touch. It is the best all around touchpad device I have used.

#14 ·
I use the Logitech M570 Trackball with my Chromebook.

Since we cannot run the Unified Remote Software on the Chromebook, I plugged the Unified Remote in my Laptop, ran the software to pair the Trackball with the remote Dongle, and then moved the Dongle to the Chromebook.

You may have to do something similar with the Microsoft products.

George

#15 ·
Configure Middle Mouse Button

Hi All,

I have a Logitech mouse connected to my Chromebook and it connected and was usable immediately - Great!

BUT, I really need to configure the middle mouse button to NOT open the apps button every time I press it - it serves no purpose that way.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I've been searching the web for days!!

Thanks to anyone that can help with this one!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.