Xi3 Announces ChromiumPC - First Chrome Desktop Computer - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Yes - it does suck. However, in this world we're living in, I wonder if Google even know how Chrome will impact the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure about this. Think the laptops look more appropriate for now.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to xuguangxue Send a message via MSN to xuguangxue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlviper View Post

Xi3 Announces ChromiumPC - World's First Google Chrome OS Desktop

Xi3 Corporation today announced its ChromiumPC modular computer, the first desktop computer designed for Google's new Chrome operating system.

The Xi3 Modular Computer was formally unveiled in 2010 at the CES Show and was an Innovation Award Winner in the Computer Hardware category for the 2011 CES Show.

“The Xi3 Computer Architecture is designed to support any x86-based operating system, including Windows, Linux, Unix, and other open source-based operating systems,” said Jason A. Sullivan, president and CEO of Xi3 Corp. “Although we’ve been promoting, discussing and working on modular computers for some time, we feel the market is now ready for a desktop computer with a cloud-based operating system like the one offered by Google. If someone chooses to switch their ChromiumPC to run a different operating system, it’s as easy as swapping out one of the three boards inside the computer.

“Historically, the vast majority of operating systems have been installed and run locally on computers. But as technology has advanced and people have become more and more comfortable with using Web-based applications and storing data away from their computer, specifically ‘in the cloud,’ it only makes sense that operating systems will become cloud-based. In fact, we expect that over time we’ll see many operating systems that are wire-bound and require the computer to be connected to the Internet to run, and we will likely support these new operating systems as well.”

General Availability of the X3 Modular Computer is slated for July 4th

The ChromiumPC will be powered by a dual- or single-core 64-bit, x86-based processor, housed in a chassis measuring 4.0- x 3.656- x 3.656-inches and available in multiple colors, including a chrome-plated chassis. ChromiumPC pricing will be announced later this year, with additional specifications announced at that time. General availability for the ChromiumPC is expected in the second half of 2011.

More information: Xi3 Corporation Announces Its ChromiumPC Modular Computer ? the World?s First Desktop Computer Running Google?s Chrome Operating System | Business Wire
it is cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 AM

If you want to be able to upgrade your PC over time then these is a good choice. But, I prefer the chromebook.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM

Hmm I will be waiting here in anticipation of how this machine will take off. It looks like a better option if it can run in different Operating systems meaning it's got all you need for a PC.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 AM

I prefer to go with the Chromebooks, either way. With the way things are moving and perhaps subject to how people will handle the whole idea of 'cloud computing', then things are set to change in the whole IT world.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Anyone seen any news on how this turned out? I haven't been able to find out anything more about it

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 PM

for somethings like work or online gaming you need a pd/mac. for 'fun' i have an ipad2 and a chromebook. for what it does, would not want chrome desktop.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by modder View Post
Anyone seen any news on how this turned out? I haven't been able to find out anything more about it
Sounds like Vaporware. Nothing new on it since late May of this year.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Xi3 - Looks cool - Priced is ridiculous!!

Aside from not being a Chromebox (running real ChromeOS), the base price of one these things is ridiculous - $849. If they think they are going to sell a lot of these things running any flavor of linux they are just plain crazy. At $300 they'd might move some product, at $849 I would be surprised if they've sold a single one.

Last edited by SmithChrome; 03-03-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page