Xi3 Announces ChromiumPC - First Chrome Desktop Computer - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Xi3 Announces ChromiumPC - First Chrome Desktop Computer

Xi3 Announces ChromiumPC - World's First Google Chrome OS Desktop

Xi3 Corporation today announced its ChromiumPC modular computer, the first desktop computer designed for Google's new Chrome operating system.

The Xi3 Modular Computer was formally unveiled in 2010 at the CES Show and was an Innovation Award Winner in the Computer Hardware category for the 2011 CES Show.

“The Xi3 Computer Architecture is designed to support any x86-based operating system, including Windows, Linux, Unix, and other open source-based operating systems,” said Jason A. Sullivan, president and CEO of Xi3 Corp. “Although we’ve been promoting, discussing and working on modular computers for some time, we feel the market is now ready for a desktop computer with a cloud-based operating system like the one offered by Google. If someone chooses to switch their ChromiumPC to run a different operating system, it’s as easy as swapping out one of the three boards inside the computer.

“Historically, the vast majority of operating systems have been installed and run locally on computers. But as technology has advanced and people have become more and more comfortable with using Web-based applications and storing data away from their computer, specifically ‘in the cloud,’ it only makes sense that operating systems will become cloud-based. In fact, we expect that over time we’ll see many operating systems that are wire-bound and require the computer to be connected to the Internet to run, and we will likely support these new operating systems as well.”

General Availability of the X3 Modular Computer is slated for July 4th

The ChromiumPC will be powered by a dual- or single-core 64-bit, x86-based processor, housed in a chassis measuring 4.0- x 3.656- x 3.656-inches and available in multiple colors, including a chrome-plated chassis. ChromiumPC pricing will be announced later this year, with additional specifications announced at that time. General availability for the ChromiumPC is expected in the second half of 2011.

More information: Xi3 Corporation Announces Its ChromiumPC Modular Computer ? the World?s First Desktop Computer Running Google?s Chrome Operating System | Business Wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Are you kidding me? Is that the actual size of the computer? I am in the market for a new desktop, as a matter of fact...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Hmmm, I was considering the chromebook, but this just made my decision a little bit harder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
It is very sweet looking!

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM

I haven't had a desktop in so long, I've only been working on my laptop. I don't think that this will beat out the Cromebook for me but it does sound interesting.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 AM

if it's really small like that and runs powerful at the same time, then worth to give it a try
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 AM
jwr

I don't think Chrome OS would be useful as a PC. Unless it very cheap. Chromebooks ok but a PC with Chrome OS?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Build your own Xi3 Modular Computer

Xi3 | Buy Now
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 AM

Unfortunately, it's not a real Chromebox. It's only a regular PC with nightly builds of Chromium OS. No Google intended security like found in Chromeboxes and Chromebooks.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldst View Post
Unfortunately, it's not a real Chromebox. It's only a regular PC with nightly builds of Chromium OS. No Google intended security like found in Chromeboxes and Chromebooks.
That kinda sucks! Why would I really want it, then, other than the fact that it is smaller and more compact than other PC's?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page