ISYS Technologies suing Google over Chromebook usage - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

ISYS Technologies suing Google over Chromebook usage

NEW YORK (AP) -- A small computer maker and patent holding company, ISYS Technologies Inc., on Monday said it has filed a lawsuit against Google Inc. to stop it from marketing PCs running its Google Chrome software as "Chromebook" and "Chromebox."

ISYS's subsidiary Xi3 Corp. started using the term ChromiumPC for a planned PC running Chrome or its Chromium variant in 2009, it said. Google is now opposing ISYS's application for the "ChromiumPC" trademark because it would confuse consumers, the ISYS said.

Efforts to resolve the dispute amicably with Google have reached "an impasse," said ISYS, which is based in Littleton, Colo.

Google did not reply to a message seeking comment on the suit.

ISYS said it plans to have the ChromiumPC on the market this fall. Chromebooks from Acer Inc. and Samsung Electronics are expected to go on sale this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM

I have a feeling google had rights to the name "chrome' before ISYS did as they did launch their browser a while back and also announced the development of Their OS. but we'll see how this lay suit pan's out, and googles gotta figure it quick before June15th otherwise they wont be able to see their products !
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM

This could turn into a bad situation, holding back those interested in the ChromeBook from getting one and pushing away the Google chromebook release date.

I wonder if there are any updates on ISYS suing Google.

It's funny how ISYS now sues Google when they are nearing the Chrome book release date instead of doing this way before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm sure Google has an incredible team of lawyers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM

i don't think that this will effect google at all.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Chromium =/ Chrome. This lawsuit will be dropped considering there name ChromiumPC comes from Google's Open Source software names... Also Chromebook doesn't sound the same as ChromiumPC...you know one sounds better..and it isn't ISYS's name...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Interesting, this is my second time to hear about ISYS today and I didn't have a clue what that is. Well, I believe Google can surpass this little test.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 AM

This is really going to be thrown out...ISYS doesn't doesn't have any TM's for the name esp since it is a Element..and they don't own Chromebook either..All Google has to show is they are using there provided Open Source code to make a machine like theres...

I have a feeling Google may have 1 or 2 good lawyers too
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
This could turn into a bad situation, holding back those interested in the ChromeBook from getting one and pushing away the Google chromebook release date.

I wonder if there are any updates on ISYS suing Google.

It's funny how ISYS now sues Google when they are nearing the Chrome book release date instead of doing this way before.
Marketing poly? Seems to be the norm for the tech companies of late. This story has been published in a lot of places for free. The next question is: will they launch there on product and Google in turn counter-sue? Also, the norm...In example: Apple vs Samsung...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Well Chromium is Open Source and GPL'd so they can sell a product. You can just sell the software but if your offering service, support and hardware it is legal.. They are getting attention...

The Apple v Samsung thing is a bigger deal..it has to do with Samsung stealing the look of IOS which causes market confusion... Samsung should just stick with stock Android and not there halfbaked crap anyways..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page