Google Chromebook Coming June 15th! - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM

I'm not real savvy on the difference between the WiFi and 3G. How does that impact most users? I have high speed internet at home, and at the local cafe. Does that change anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM

So where are the best deals?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 PM

I would be seriously looking into the Acer model if they were going to be released in Canada on launch day. Might be worth a trip down to the States! Anyone know if a U.S. bought chromebook will work in the Great White North?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
No reason why they shouldn't work in Canada, I wouldn't expect Google to block any core Chromebook functionality based on orinigating IP addresses so it should work just dandy.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinquant View Post
The Acer display may be slightly smaller, but I prefer Acer computers over Samsung.
I agree Acer makes a good product.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM

i wonder how well it will work with large scale hot spots in addition to local wifi
also, i thought the price point was supposed to be lower....looks like i am going to have to look into the specs more....
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Only a week more to go! I remember when Nokia Booklet 3G was launched I wanted it so bad to be one of the first owners but I kept my cool. This time, I will do the same. I'm going to wait until the first batch has been tested by the public.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm probably going to get mine through Amazon. I presume that the Kindle store and the ability to read Kindle books will come down from the cloud at some point.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzeyes View Post
I'm not real savvy on the difference between the WiFi and 3G. How does that impact most users? I have high speed internet at home, and at the local cafe. Does that change anything?
Oh dear

In a nutshell, 3G is a cellular connection that allows access to the internet from wherever you are granted you have proper reception (just like a mobile phone), while Wi-Fi is just another means of connecting to an already existing broadband/high-speed internet connection, such as in your home or at a cafe. The main advantage of 3G is portability (Wi-Fi does not follow you). The main advantage of Wi-Fi is speed (3G only clocks in at about 1mbps - Wi-Fi ranges from 5mbps to 50+mbps).

"Mbps", btw, refers to Megabits Per Second. 3G connectivity is "ok" for surfing the web (such as reading Engadget or posting on ChromebookForum.com) but undesirable for streaming/downloading media (such as Netflix or Hulu).

Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised that Google didn't push for 4G. This would be just the deal for T-Mobile to get back on their feet!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page