Samsung Series 5 Chromebook Review - Page 3 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

Great review, and I appreciate the honesty! Chromebook sounds and looks perfect for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:17 AM

Question WiFi First?

When a Chromebook has both 3G and WiFi, at bootup I expect it will look for a WiFi connection first. I hope it will have brains enough to go to 3G if all the WiFIs require a password.:
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 PM

great idea! need a new laptop, and this looks like a winner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 AM

What about access to Windows Apps?

If you are considering Chromebooks but are concerned about access to Windows apps, you should look at Ericom AccessNow, a pure HTML5 RDP client that enables Chromebok/ChromeOS users to connect to any RDP host, including Terminal Server (RDS Session Host), physical desktops or VDI virtual desktops – and run their applications and desktops in a browser.

This means that you can use AccessNow for instant, turnkey web-enablement of most any Windows application. Running entirely within a browser, AccessNow works natively with Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer (with Chrome Frame plug-in), Firefox and any other browser with HTML5 and WebSockets support.

Ericom‘s AccessNow does not require Java, Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX, or any other underlying technology to be installed on end-user devices.

For more information, and to download the beta of Ericom AccessNow please visit:
http://www.ericom.com/AccessNow

For a video demo:
http://www.ericom.com/AccessNowVideo
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM

I can't wait to replace my Windows 7 with a Chromebook. The instant connectivity is a dream come true for anyone who uses the internet. The free 3g from Verizon is just another bonus!
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Samsung will most likely be my choice when having the option of a Acer ChromeBook or Samsung ChromeBook. If the Samsung chrome book only had a HDMI port it would be another reason to not look at the Acer Chromebook. But i love watching video's in high quality and a HDMI port is needed for me, hopefully the ChromeBox will have a HDMI connection.

Eventually their will be a Mini-VGA to HDMI converter for the Samsung Chrome book, all in time.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM

WiFi and 3G

@ Steve Geller
Mine arrived June 8
Plugged in power, opened it (no ON switch) and there are about four steps.
"Select a network"
Where I am located, I have two WiFi.
I was able to connect to one (with WEP) after I dug the KEY out of my file.
There are also system type settings where you can limit it to just the WiFi (disable the 3G). Something I did not know is that IF activated, the ChromeBook that arrived includes 100 MB (per month?) 3G from Verizon wireless.
I did not plug in the dongle and did not activate. I was not aware there is a WiFi only but do not mind having the 3G option as well.
Anyone know if the way to manage ChromeBook is just to close it (no Shutdown).
The software got updated and automatic re-boot. I ran my Gmail and tried a couple of "Call phone" for which I use my Gmail. That is about all so far.
I just got it about one hour ago (or less).
I am wondering about use (for three weeks) in Kenya with Safaricom pre-pay service?
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Talking Great Review

I found this extremely helpful. I'm really considering purchasing one, (although wining one would be grand). I think I might wait until December though, incase the "more options" versions come out. I would love to see a sleeker design.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Awesome

I want one!!!!
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Great video tutorial. The VGA out is awesome! This is going to be my bedroom media center and personal computer. I am curious to see a walk through of the operating system. Is it just the web/ chrome portal? Probably not, but that's all I've seen.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page