App Question About Mint - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Question App Question About Mint

I have been eyeing Mint and if it does everything it says it does then it is an app that can simplify my life. I am a little worried about security though. I have seen reviews both ways so I am on the fence. I thought you guys would be the most trustworthy source of info. Is Mint safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM

I never knew about that APP till now, and it seems to be really useful but I would do some serious research on it before putting all that personal info on it. But here's a Mint APP review i found talking about the pro's, con's and some more:

Pros
  • Very clean and easy to read
  • View all your accounts inside Mint.com
  • Manage your alerts
  • See charges as soon as they are posted
Cons
  • Not a stand-alone app, requires a Mint.com account
  • The tool is read-only, you can't make any updates to your Mint.com account
  • No graphs
  • Balances not always updated in real time
  • No warning if Mint can't access accounts
Description
  • View an overview of your accounts that are hooked into Mint.com.
  • Track credit cards, bank accounts, and investment accounts.
  • Follow your Mint.com budgets.
  • Review your cash flow by category or merchant.
  • Review investment changes.
  • Receive alerts from Mint.com.
Guide Review - Mint iPhone Application
This is a great app for keeping abreast of your finances right when you need it - at the store. This can be very helpful to keep on track with your budgets.

But when Mint.com has a problem, this app simply stops updating. It continues to show you your status against your budgets but incorrectly. If you don't notice, you could be fooled into thinking that you're doing much better than you really are. And since the overview is so simple, you can miss it.

There is also no way to make changes within this app. It would be nice to be able to update categories from within this app, but it's read-only.

This is a decent app if you have a Mint.com account, but I wouldn't set up an account just to use this app. If they added 2-way connectivity and better error messages when there is a problem, then this app would be much more useful.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM

What does it mean that you can not make any updates to Mint? What if you close one of your accounts and open a new one? Does that mean you can't change the old account, or delete it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:04 PM

I have been using to pay some of my bills. I only one my small checking account linked up to it. I haven't tried deleting accounts but I can look in to it. I like it but I am starting slow because I am worried about security as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM

The Mint "app" in the Chrome Web Store seems to be basically a bookmark for the Mint.com web site, so you can do anything in it that you can do on the web site.

As for safety, Mint is now owned by Intuit, the makers of Quicken, who shut down there Quicken Online web site after buying Mint. It would seem to come down to how much you trust Intuit, and how much you trust online financial services at all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM

I used to use Quicken and I have a great deal of respect for them. I think Intuit is pretty trustworthy. Still, you never know who could get hacked and when. My question is what measures do they take to protect your information?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Intuit has a whole website devoted to security. Not just telling you what they do but also trying to educate the user on how you can help yourself. I think that is pretty cool. How does that relate to Mint, no idea. Lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page