Chromebooks at a much cheaper price - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Chromebooks at a much cheaper price

I would not say that the Chromebooks are really overpriced at the moment but I was imagining a scenario where Google has partnered with more manufacturers leading to a variety and hence cheaper prices.

Any chance that this will happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
I'm sure down the road once they are popular it will happen, for now people need to become accepting of the general idea first.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Dee

I agree with Modder. Additionally, as new versions of Chromebooks come out, the older versions will be less expensive to purchase, I'm sure, just like other computers and gadgets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 PM

If they come out with an ARM version down the road, that will be super cheap. It seems to be the pricey parts right now are the Atom and Board plus that Battery...since ARM chips use a ton less power (why phones use them) then smaller battery for the same hours.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM

I hope they'll get cheaper pretty quick. It's a little bit silly to pay so much for a computer that really only does things online, when you can get a decent-ish on-and-offline computer for around the same price.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcboor View Post
I hope they'll get cheaper pretty quick. It's a little bit silly to pay so much for a computer that really only does things online, when you can get a decent-ish on-and-offline computer for around the same price.
Similar things were said of the iPad, and the same rules apply here. There were plenty of critics who said the ipad could do less than a laptop so why bother, and they were partly right - the ipad has not replaced the laptop for everyone but has instead carved its own very popular niche.

The CB is optimised for working on the web - no boot times, giant battery, great keyboard, simple updates. No multi-purpose computer can do these things as well, so choose where you want to compromise - you can have local apps or a better web but not both.

The current crop of CBs are well priced too. Any windows computer at the same price will be less good in at least one of these areas:
- battery life
- screen resolution
- weight
- cpu
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaaay View Post
I would not say that the Chromebooks are really overpriced at the moment ....
I really think it is especially here in the UK. Do you know how much more we have to pay here?
US Price - Samsung - $429-$499 Acer - $349 -
UK Price - Samsung - 349-399 Acer is not available yet

With the current forex rate it should be 217-247
So I really think it's overpriced for us here.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Moe

You know I asked something like that to a friend who lives in the UK, and he said the explanation he got about the price difference is that cost of living in the UK also effects the end price. So do you disagree with that?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
You know I asked something like that to a friend who lives in the UK, and he said the explanation he got about the price difference is that cost of living in the UK also effects the end price. So do you disagree with that?
Fuel is about 1.40 a litre here - roughly equivalent to $8.60 a US gallon.
It's mainly 'green' taxes, but it increases the cost of everything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page