Toshiba Chromebook in 2011? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Toshiba Chromebook in 2011?

Does anyone think that there will be a Toshiba Chromebook launched in 2011? I would love to see a 15" Chromebook by Christmas, and I think Toshiba might be a natural player given that they really need to freshen up their lineup of mobiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM
jwr

i currently own a Toshiba laptop and i love it. A chromebook would be a powerful machine assuming Toshiba will put on it some great features.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM

I think so, Toshiba makes great hardware so it would be a natural fit, and they certainly have a very wide spread laptop portfolio of products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM

sorry Toshiba lovers, seems like there will be no chance of seeing a Toshiba ChromeBook unless this source is wrong...

Quote:
Toshiba reportedly abandoning ideas for developing Wintel-based tablets and Chromebooks

Japan-based notebook brand vendor Toshiba reportedly has abandoned ideas for developing Windows 7-based tablet PCs and Chromebooks as the two devices have already disappeared from Toshiba's latest product roadmap, according to sources from the PC industry.

Toshiba is already set to launch its Android 3.0-based tablet PC in June, featuring Nvidia's Tegra 2 processor and a 10.1-inch panel, and the device is already available for pre-order in the US market.

Toshiba displayed its Windows 7-based tablet PC first at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in the US in early 2011, but Toshiba's change of strategy may delay the model's launch schedule or even eliminate its chance of appearing in the retail channel.

As for the Chromebook, the sources pointed out that due to Toshiba achieving lower-than-expected performance in 2010 for its smartbook products, which feature a similar industrial design as a netbook but adopt the Android operating system, the company is taking a conservative approach toward the newly formed market segment.

Toshiba's Android 3.0-based tablet PC is manufactured by Taiwan-based Pegatron Technology and will start shipping in May with official launch in June, according to the previous reports.

Toshiba reportedly abandoning ideas for developing Wintel-based tablets and Chromebooks
I have the feeling Toshiba is waiting to see how the ChromeBook will do before they make a move into the ChromeBook world. One thing for sure, ChromeBooks will be offered by many more brands. Give it a year maybe and Toshiba will consider it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM

I agree, I do not think that Toshiba will get in on 2011 Chromebooks. If they are smart they will have plans ready to roll and if all goes well with Chrombooks then release theres just before Christmas. But I do not know if they would even have enough time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah, they would have to move to quick considering they will be on the sidelines at least another 3 months or so. If they made them that fast then they would be made to quickly to be any good.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM

It's probably not going to happen, but I would love one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM

I do like Toshiba's hardware, maybe they will change their minds.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM

I have always wanted a Toshiba laptop. I wish they had stepped forward like Acer and Samsung. I personally prefer Toshiba over Acer. I really hope they change/make up their mind ASAP.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 PM

It is to bad that HP and Toshiba are going to make their own tablets. At least we still have Acer, Samsung and Asus making Google Chromebooks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page