Multiple User Profiles? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Multiple User Profiles?

Will I be able to choose a specific Google account at boot? Or change user without rebooting?

There are a few ongoing threads on the Chrome Browser forums regarding access to multiple gmail accounts, is this resolved in Chrome OS?

My scenario will be:
  • two or more unique users
  • three or more wifi locations
I don't think I would need concurrent access to multiple users but It would be great if I could share my Google space allotment among all accounts. (I know, not an OS issue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Ben

I think it was an unboxing video which answered some of those questions for me:

1)there is a pull-down menu letting you pick how to connect - different wifi locations are listed there alongside the 3g card
2)a brief hold of the power button logs you out, iirc, and you can log in as a different user or as a guest. to power off or reboot it takes another brief holding of the power button. I think the second power button press is required since when you close the machine it goes to sleep where the battery probably lasts for days, so most of the time you would just log out and close up.
3)when you start up it shows you a graphical log-in screen, guest as an option after any accounts you created

I do not know about sharing the google space allotment or the threads about going to multiple gmail acounts with a single chromebook account.

Last edited by Ben; 05-20-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot about the first question, added answer 3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 PM

the info isnt stored onto the laptop itself so i believe you can have as many accounts as possible, its like loging into your psn or xbox live account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Ben is right. The idea of drop down menu to select available Wifi is exactly the available option, apart from other various options.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 PM

@Driod it is stored on online
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to kjfulton Send a message via MSN to kjfulton Send a message via Skype™ to kjfulton
Wait, so how exactly does logging in work? And if anyone can login...wouldn't it be easy to steal?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 PM

@kjfulton Idk how it works, but it wont be easy to steal.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I had forgotten that it only takes 8 seconds to boot, I can deal with that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:09 PM

I very rarely let anyone on my laptop, unless absolutely necessary, so I am not really concerned about additional users. Now, if it were a PC, that might be different...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 PM

This is something I have been wondering about too. I will probably be the main user but I would like to have a profile that guests could use as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page