Google App Development on the Cloud? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Google App Development on the Cloud?

Are there any possibilities for developing for the cloud, in the cloud?

I've installed GO locally (Ubuntu 11.04/Gnome3) and done the "Hello World" thing and I'll be installing the full google_appengine SDK sometime this week, probably with eclipse. My intent is to go through the tutorials and Charles Severance's "Using Google App Engine" [//http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596800697].

Will there be a hosted environment like this? I'm imagining something that provides GWT, Google App Engine SDK, GO language support, and Chrome Developer Tools in a Chrome session. Something like Palm's Ares tool (I wish Google had bought WebOS!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 AM

I'm learning to do Python and Java - will it be possible to install interpreters and text-editors on a Chromebook or will I have to look for web-apps to do that?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Most development hosting plans should support this, though that said I have yet to come across one that specifically syays it does this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 AM

I too have been looking for a way to develop for the cloud in the cloud, particularly for Google App Engine.

I do not think there is a way to do this today. The most interesting find is that eclipse are developing a cloud based ide. It is a bit rudimentary at the moment but is already looking quite good (but really only good for HTML/Javascript today).

See Welcome to Orion

Also of note:
Kodingen - The Cloud Development Environment, Online Code Editor, Cloud Hosting, Web based access to file-system, ftp & svn integration
http://www.cloud-ide.com/
ShiftEdit - Online IDE | ShiftEdit

Cheers,
giles...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page