Chromebook general questions - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Chromebook general questions

Hi guys!
i'm traveling alot. have long flights and looooong connections between the flights. to spend this time i use my laptop. the problem of this laptop it's a weight. (about 3.5kg / 8pounds).
after my last travel, i decided to buy something light weight. ultrabooks are veeery expensive, tablets with a keyboard will cost about 400-500$ (i really need a keyboard), so i think, chromebook is a nice choice.

i've never used a chromebook before, not familiar with this os, so i want to know a couple of things about it:

1) can i use it without an internet connection?
2) can i watch a movies on my external hardrive during the flight? i mean does it have any application for this? not internet streaming, but just open a movie from hard disk like regular laptop.
3) there is a chromebooks with touchscreen. does this function necessary? there is some programs or games that needs touchscreen ?
4) and the final question. which one to buy? i want 13" screen. toshiba chromebook 2? acer 720p? any other?

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andryuxa1985 View Post
Hi guys!
i'm traveling alot. have long flights and looooong connections between the flights. to spend this time i use my laptop. the problem of this laptop it's a weight. (about 3.5kg / 8pounds).
after my last travel, i decided to buy something light weight. ultrabooks are veeery expensive, tablets with a keyboard will cost about 400-500$ (i really need a keyboard), so i think, chromebook is a nice choice.

i've never used a chromebook before, not familiar with this os, so i want to know a couple of things about it:

1) can i use it without an internet connection?
2) can i watch a movies on my external hardrive during the flight? i mean does it have any application for this? not internet streaming, but just open a movie from hard disk like regular laptop.
3) there is a chromebooks with touchscreen. does this function necessary? there is some programs or games that needs touchscreen ?
4) and the final question. which one to buy? i want 13" screen. toshiba chromebook 2? acer 720p? any other?

thank you!
Hey and welcome to the Chromebookforum!

Nice to hear that you are considering to buy a Chromebook.

Now with regard to your questions:

1. The short answer is: yes, you can. Of course your functionality is somewhat limited due to the fact that for most processes the Chromebook relies on the Chrome web-browser. However you should be able to create and/or edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with your Chromebook without any problem offline. Also listening to music and watching videos on locally stored drives should work flawlessly without internet.

2. Yes this is very well possible, an external hard-drive can be connected without a probldem and the ChromeOS software comes with a good list of codecs (3gp, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .mkv, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav) to support various video and audio files. Although you must be aware that some movies might come in awkward videoformats that the Chromebook video player might not support, so I would advise you to try and play some of your videofiles when you are on the ground first, before you take it on flight. However in general, most movies will be supported.

3. Touchscreen generally is not necessary. A touchscreen should just be seen as a nice and convenient feature which will assist you in using ChromeOS. It might improve your browsing experience if you have become very used to touchscreen scrolling and enjoy it. Otherwise you will also be perfectly fine without. I have not seen apps on the Chrome webstore which explicitly state that they require a touchscreen. My Chromebook does not have a touchscreen and I don't feel I'm missing out on something here.

4. You state you want a 13 inch screen, however the Acer C720P comes with a 11,6 inch screen. Might wanna take a look at the Acer Chromebook 13 or other models as well. Personally, I have a HP Chromebook 14, which comes with a slightly bigger screen (14 inch). For me this bigger screen is preferable, since I use this Chromebook as my main laptop and the bigger screen makes the laptop more comfortable to work with. The HP Chromebook is still pretty light too, just weighing about 1.9 kg. Still, there is a whole series of Chromebooks you can choose from; my blog provides a selection of Chromebooks you might want to take a look at.

I wish you good luck with your search, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Check out my freshly made blog about Chromebooks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, very much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:42 AM

Really informative and nicely shared.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrodriguez View Post
Really informative and nicely shared.

Web Development Services Are Here: Call Now At Techogee Toll Free number: (0044)208-144-1709 E-Commerce Website Design Service | E-Commerce Web Design Services | Affordable Website Design Service
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:00 PM

Hello new friends,
I just bought 3 Acer Chromebooks one for each of my three kids (ages 11, 11, 10). I was advised that these would be very useful for my 11 year-olds as they are entering middle school this fall. Before I set them up I was hoping someone would advise me with the following two strategies:
A. User Strategy - I want them to have their own passwords so they can't interfere with each other's Chromebooks but I also want to establish parental controls if possible
B. Network Strategy - I purchased a Cannon wireless printer and want each child to be able to send print jobs to the printer. I would like to add that we also have an iMac and a PC laptop in the house so it would be ideal if print jobs could be sent from any of the 5 devices.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page