E-Books, PDF questions and more - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

E-Books, PDF questions and more

Hello,

I'm a nursing student, and my professors have told us students that it'd be wise to get a little laptop, and instead of purchase physical copies of the books we need each semester, find a digital copy and save our backs.

I was thinking a chromebook would be a good fit, light, small, etc.

BUT, I've heard nightmares about having issues like not being able to edit, annotate, bookmark, highlight, etc, efficiently, like you can on a normal windows PDF download. I know there are a few PDF apps on the chromebook, but yeah, i've heard bad things. I want to feel like I can do everything I can in a normal book (put tabs for easy reference, highlight, etc etc), and have them permanently saved to the PDF book (i've heard sometimes editing like this only lasts for the session, and can't be saved as the new book)

Should I just get a small laptop? or is a chromebook going to be okay for this? please help soon, i need to make a choice today. THank you so much.

(this is cross posted I didn't know where to ask it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by circulating View Post
Hello,

I'm a nursing student, and my professors have told us students that it'd be wise to get a little laptop, and instead of purchase physical copies of the books we need each semester, find a digital copy and save our backs.

I was thinking a chromebook would be a good fit, light, small, etc.

BUT, I've heard nightmares about having issues like not being able to edit, annotate, bookmark, highlight, etc, efficiently, like you can on a normal windows PDF download. I know there are a few PDF apps on the chromebook, but yeah, i've heard bad things. I want to feel like I can do everything I can in a normal book (put tabs for easy reference, highlight, etc etc), and have them permanently saved to the PDF book (i've heard sometimes editing like this only lasts for the session, and can't be saved as the new book)

Should I just get a small laptop? or is a chromebook going to be okay for this? please help soon, i need to make a choice today. THank you so much.

(this is cross posted I didn't know where to ask it)

Well circulating...

You can do most things on a CB that you can achieve on a normal laptop, although I've not heard of anyone being able to edit a PDF, other than by doing so on a standard computer, using an application purchased from Adobe... The same might apply on a CB if you get a similar app...

Personally, I've seldom had the need to edit a PDF, so I've not investigated that fully, on a CB... What I have done, is to save a document as a PDF, then at a later date, if I need to make changes, I simply go back to the original document, make a copy with which to make the changes or change the original: then create a new PDF and download that... It's somewhat long-winded I suppose, but it is a means to an end...

Further to that, I'm somewhat uncertain that you can highlight text on a CB... You can vary the colour of text, to give it that effect (I suppose) but if you wanted true highlighting: I think you'd be disappointed...

Hope that throws a little light on the subject...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 PM

I know it's not a fresh topic, but for anybody having the same needs, search for "pdfbuddy", an online PDF editor..

Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page