I think I sort of bricked my HP 11 G5 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Question I think I sort of bricked my HP 11 G5

I have a HP Chromebook 11 G5 Celeron Braswell 4GB DDR3 with MrChromebox firmware. I tried Crouton for a while, then chrx dual boot. Eventually I did a standalone installation of Elementary OS Loki. The sound never worked, and after a week the keyboard suddenly stopped working. It still worked at the warning boot-up screen and in the grub, but the only button that worked at all was the power button. The touchpad still worked. I reinstalled twice with the same problems. So I installed Linux Mint to give it a try. The keyboard never worked at all. I was ready to go at the bugs like I did with Elementary, but I found my old HP 2000 with windows. I decided to put linux on that and recover my chromebook. I made the recovery USB, and rebooted to the "OS Verification Off" screen. I pressed space(I believe this was my big mistake, as there was no OS to verify), and it sat blank for a bit before coming to the "OS missing or damaged insert recovery media" screen. I put in my drive and... Nothing. I tried Ctrl-D, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-U, Space, Enter, etc... nothing, the screen stayed. I had previously recovered my chromebook, and it worked just fine before. I rebooted and it came back to the missing or damaged screen. Ctrl-D worked this time, and it asked me if I wanted to turn OS Verification off. I said yes, and it shut off again. Got it to the "OS Verification Off" screen again. (Remember, Mint is still installed). Gave it a Ctrl-L, and it gave me a beep. Ctrl-U, the same thing, although a black cutout appeared at the top left of the screen telling me my Legacy boot and USB boot was off. When I pressed space earlier, it reset those settings. The problem is, I can't boot into anything to change them. And for some reason, the Recovery screen doesn't do anything.
Any ideas? Maybe a hardware tweak or a screw removed? Or some magical keyboard shortcut? If not, my Chromebook is practically bricked.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page