Samsung Chromebook Exynos 5200: linux? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Samsung Chromebook Exynos 5200: linux?

Two weeks ago I bought a Samsung Exynus 5200 Chromebook. It has 2 Gb memory, 16 Gb SSD ARM-processor Mali-T 604 and a Chrome OS named Snow-Premier GE 8429. I'm new here and I found nothing about this type on this Forum and elsewhere, so I put my questions here.
I want to work with Linux on it. And I tested several installations of ChromeOS with the possiblity to boot with:
- Ubuntu, placed in 10 Gb of the SSD;
- Ubuntu placed on a SD-card;
- Ubuntu places on a usbstick;
- XFCE with crouton;
- Unity with crouton.

Because the crouton-versions are stripped ( no mailer no Internet, no Softwarecenter if you want Internet, switch to ChromeOS ),
I don't like them.
And I prefer also a smaller Linux version, such as LinuxMint or Puppy. But until now I could not find examples of how to install those Linux-versions, here my question:
"Do you know where I can find instructions of how to install LinuxMint or Puppy on my type of Chromebook (Samsung ARM Exynus 5200)?"

Bart

Last edited by BartSr; 05-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Bart,
I'd also love Mint ... But

I have installed Crouton Unity on my Samsung (ARM), and not only does it support the Internet, but with some additional configs, you can bring it closer to a full Ubuntu install. There are things that don't work (like Software Center), but I can live with that. My goal was to be able to use the Chromebook offline for some basic Office tasks, which I can do now (LibreOffice). I suspect in time, better support will evolve too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page