Printing to Network Printer - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Printing to Network Printer

I have looked at the printing instructions for cloud-enabled printers and also for printers being shared from a PC or MAC but can find no information at all on how to print from a true Network printer - ie one that has an NIC card and is connected directly to the network and not to another machine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Specifically from ChromeOS or another Operating System?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM

I believe if you download the appropriate cloud drivers, it should print without a problem via the Cloud Print solution. Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyass View Post
Specifically from ChromeOS or another Operating System?
I'm looking at ChromeOS - I don't have a Chromebook yet but was researching the functions.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromed View Post
I believe if you download the appropriate cloud drivers, it should print without a problem via the Cloud Print solution. Am I wrong?
I don't know - I'm only researching at the moment and the seeming lack of instruction on how to print to a networked printer worried me...my printer doesn't have an email address which is what it seems that Cloud Printing needs...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Only their Cloud-Aware Printers need an email address, when Google makes reference to "Legacy" Printers they are including network printers in that, check out Introduction - Google Cloud Print - Google Code for more info.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Good ref link, but I still would have no idea how to set it up?!?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Question Confusion on how to print to legacy printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by modder View Post
Only their Cloud-Aware Printers need an email address, when Google makes reference to "Legacy" Printers they are including network printers in that, check out Introduction - Google Cloud Print - Google Code for more info.
While this is a great article, the answer to this question is ambiguous if even answered. I have a networked Canon printer that sits in the living room in a cabinet that everyone in the home uses to print high quality print jobs for School and Work. What tools and processes need to be implemented in my home and my office for those of us that want to migrate from our current bulky desktops and laptops to the Chromebooks?

We have 90% of our work stored in the cloud and we use Google Mail for our corporate email. We will need the ability to print and do not want the expense of building print servers or buying new printers.

So in simple, easy to understand, non technical talk, what are the options TODAY, not Tomorrow, for printing to our existing Printers?

JAlbert
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

You are on option 3 - use a print server to connect a networked printer to google cloud print. The text in the 'Non cloud printers' paragraph clearly explains what you need on this page: Introduction - Google Cloud Print - Google Code

In order to print to your living room printer, you need a mac or windows computer on the network with chrome installed and the cloud print feature enabled, and switched on.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks russ, I have been trying to get this worked out too. Your picture and instructions work great. This can be done, so don't give up guys, it is so worth it when you get it set right.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page