LogMeIn - What I Learned - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

LogMeIn - What I Learned

I used the Netbook I had at night to look at the web and when traveling for general access. My primary non-browser program was Filemaker Pro.

I purchased the Chromebook to better work with my main computer when traveling, using LogMeIn - The paid version for $69.96. Essentially a one person business, I had been considering matching my desktop web design machine with a heavy-duty portable, and the Chromebook seemed like a good compromise.

My tips:

1. I set my main machine to 1280x800 resolution to match the Chromebook and auto-hide the left side task bar to save screen space. I close down all the programs and reopen them so they are full screen at the lower resolution.

2. I did not realize that the Chromebook has a full screen "function" key on top. Once clicked, the system works great.

I was also concerned about cookies and history with Chrome and the Chromebook, having used Firefox saving only a few cookies and eliminating the LSO's with BetterPrivacy.

I installed HistoryEraser and that seems to do the same on the Chromebook, plus using the guest login enables Incognito for any web browsing.

ColinG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Nice lessons learnt, keep them coming!

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed. This all looks like good advice. After some experimentation with ThinVNC I'd recommend the same tips. By the way - ThinVNC for me has been patchy. It is free, easy to install and can work just fine, but I've often had it connect and leave me with a black screen.

How reliable has logmein been for you?

Also, you should be ok using an incognito window (CTRL+SHIFT+N) or just signing into your CB as guest if you want to ensure no traces are left. Personally I'd trust this method more than using an extension for everything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page