Wifi not working when opening from sleep mode? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Wifi not working when opening from sleep mode?

I just received my Samsung Wifi chromebook yesterday. Its fantastic and just what I was looking for. However, when I just close the lid, and open it back up, it won't recognize the WiFi network without me disabling and re-enabling the WiFi. If I restart it, its fine, and when i do disable/re-enable, it starts up very quickly. The only time I have an issue is when I'm opening it from sleep. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm debating on doing a factory reset on it tonight and re-updating it. I was reading on Googles forum that the cr-48 had this issue and an update fixed it.

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't had this problem - on resume my series 5 will connect to any remembered network - I've tested this with both my home router, the wireless hotspot app on my HTC desire and a couple of public networks. I suspect it doesn't affect the majority of users - perhaps there is something unusual about your wlan?

The reset/update sounds like a good first step, I'd also suggest trying it with a few wlans too. Please post up your findings, whether this solves the issue or not!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:53 PM

I have a similar problem - perhaps identical. I noticed that when my Samsung chromebook is idle for a while it looses the connection. I have not noticed if it is only when it sleeps but I'll check that out.

The odd thing is when it is disconnected, the browser says that the page will not load because it's offline, but if you open up the networks page the wifi network is listed as 'connected'. If I disconnect and reconnect then everything is fine for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReedich View Post
I have a similar problem - perhaps identical. I noticed that when my Samsung chromebook is idle for a while it looses the connection. I have not noticed if it is only when it sleeps but I'll check that out.

The odd thing is when it is disconnected, the browser says that the page will not load because it's offline, but if you open up the networks page the wifi network is listed as 'connected'. If I disconnect and reconnect then everything is fine for a while.
Also this is a new Samsung - not the cr 48.
The OS updated when I first started it up, 2 days ago.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I got mine from amazon and am getting a replacement tuesday. I've restored it and re-updated it and it still has the same problem. Mine's the samsung also, but the only time I could find another issue was with the cr-48. I've also tried on my wlan, and a family members and friends. I would suggest if you're having the same issue to probably request a replacement too really. At first I didn't think it was a big deal at all, but the more you do it, it gets a bit annoying. Thanks again for your help and suggestions
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM
BWR

I also have not had this problem in the month I've had mine. I very frequently close the lid to go into sleep mode and connect to quite a few networks, all WPA/WPA2-PSK secured, if that matters.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if anyones still looking at this still, but I got my 2nd chromebook in yesterday. Its doing the same thing . We took ALL security off our wireless and still does it. We have 2 other laptops and 2 other desktops, all 4 computers connect immediately from sleep mode. We're taking it to a starbucks or something today to see if it happens there. My friend is also going to bring his new chromebook (which doesn't have this issue) to my house sometime and test it. I'm kind of out of solutions now, my main was to replace it, figured that'd be a cure all but it wasn't. Thanks for all the previous input also.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay for anyone searching for a solution, I fixed it!!!! (yayy) When you click on the network and it brings up a little box saying "connect to this network automatically" Uncheck that (it should be checked atm), forget the network, enable and disable the wifi. Go back in connect to your normal network and recheck the box. For some reason it just wasn't registering that it was checked (two chromebooks later I figure this out...) So there is a solution, and I'm super happy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Wow, that is really strange. I am still looking and have been hoping for an update. I am so glad that you found the solution! That is great! Too bad you had to go through so much. By the way, did you remember to put ALL the security back on your wireless?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks for posting the solution! So does it appear that only the CR-48s and the Samsungs have this issue? Maybe I should go for the Acer after all.