Google Docs - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Did you try to upload it to SkyDrive and see if Excel Web App could use it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
In anticipation of Chrome OS and the coming Chromebooks, I've been trying to get more acquainted with "the cloud." The issue I've been having is that I'm trying to upload an Excel file (for Mac) to Google docs, but I keep getting "We're sorry, but a server error occurred." It's getting frustrating, and this is supposed to be my test run with the cloud, but the cloud's not playing nicely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
You might have a corrupted xls file. You could try exporting your work from the spreadsheet as a doc/docx then importing the doc/docx file into Google docs as a Google spreadsheet, then make any necessary corrections.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Caution View Post
You might have a corrupted xls file. You could try exporting your work from the spreadsheet as a doc/docx then importing the doc/docx file into Google docs as a Google spreadsheet, then make any necessary corrections.
Ah ha! I think that may have been it. Long story short: file was originally an xls file for PC. Then, I switched from PC to Mac, and it became a Numbers file (which... Excel really is sooo much better). I became frustrated with Numbers and changed it back to an xls file, but this time xls for Mac. Now, I've switched it back to a Numbers file... and THAT version I was able to upload!

However... ... why are there so many howevers? ... ... Now that it's in Google docs (and conversion was on) it will only allow me to "download" the file, not run and edit it as a Google spreadsheet. Perhaps it's been through too many format changes back and forth and all around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Hmm, I didn't seem to have a problem uploading an excel file to Google Docs and also with editing. But there was one file that was converted from xls to Calc (from Open Office) and I couldn't upload it. I don't have MS Office. Anyway, technology sometimes drives me nuts.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Perhaps there has been a degree of corruption from all the changes. Either that or you still don't have have it saved as the proper format.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rick1959
Google Docs issues

Magnum,

Using Google Docs can be a frustration.

More than once, I've had an upload do exactly the same thing with no apparent reason why it would not go. Even after spending a frustratingly long time trying to find an answer....nothing. And yes, it was under 1Mb size and it was PowerPoint file, not Excel.

However, one thing that did work for me, and IO don't know why, was I sent myself a problematic file to my Gmail address (not sure if it matters whether you use a Gmail account. It didn't for me), the viewed the file and saved it. It did work that way, but I'm at a loss to know why...

Just a thought.

Cheers, Rick
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
However... ... why are there so many howevers? ... ... Now that it's in Google docs (and conversion was on) it will only allow me to "download" the file, not run and edit it as a Google spreadsheet. Perhaps it's been through too many format changes back and forth and all around?
I'm a mac user and find that I'll run into trouble every so often sending a file to a Windows machine because of some quirk in the file name. Mac's are very liberal with file names and extensions. A stray space or a comma can confuse the **** out of another OS. Often, I find all that's wrong is the file name. Silly but true.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Can someone explain to me what exactly the "cloud" is? I'm very new to Google OS.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM

So theoretically, it's compatible with most formats, but in reality it's kind of picky? I should probably start now getting the hang of using it and figuring out what I can and can't use with it.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmane89 View Post
Can someone explain to me what exactly the "cloud" is? I'm very new to Google OS.
Here's a few links to video's and a google website that might help you understand or at least get ya going in the right direction...hope this helps
YouTube - ‪What is Google Chrome OS?‬‏
YouTube - ‪Introducing the Chromebook‬‏
Chromebook
YouTube - ‪Chromebook - Sync‬‏

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page