Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Cloud Apps, Google Apps, and Other Software (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/18-cloud-apps-google-apps-other-software/)
-   -   Understanding Chrome better (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/18-cloud-apps-google-apps-other-software/45-understanding-chrome-better.html)

fred 05-21-2011 09:18 PM

Man, I remember months and months ago how everyone was talking about living in the cloud and how cloud computing was the future. I feel bad now that I thought it was just another passing trend.

AgentPrice 05-25-2011 05:16 PM

Is It Safe to Have Everything All in One Place?

Oops, didn't mean to reply to a thread. :)

chromeguy 05-26-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromed (Post 105)
So I'm trying to understand the concept of Chrome better and get away from the idea of everything being like Windows, or like Android.

So ... in Chrome... .would something like Netflix have an app? Or will they just be an in-browser thing? Is everything just going to run from the browser via a website?

I'm a bit confused on how to think of this.

Chrome OS is just a web browser. Instead of downloading things onto your computer you work on your documents, save your photos, play games, all on the web, using services such as google docs, picassa, addictinggames.com, and netflix.

bells-n-whistles 05-26-2011 01:37 AM

I would like to just be able to log onto another computer and have everything the same as on another. That is a great feature!

Bling-Bling 05-26-2011 09:24 AM

I've really got to start using more of the apps that are available in the Google App Store, just to get myself ready for the Chromebook!

6sigma 05-26-2011 08:39 PM

I've been using the Cr-48. By not having Windows and a registry, the computer doesn't slow down over time. By not having applications checking for updates (Windows, Office, iTunes, etc.) the computer doesn't slow down. With no antivirus software, the computer is not bogged down while doing other things.

With advanced HTML5, CSS3 and (ultrafast) javascript, the web apps just work and work fast. Having started in December with a very early revision of ChromeOS, Google has continued to update the operating system repeatedly. Understand that these updates are nothing like what you have to do to update a Windows or Linux computer. Turn the Cr-48 back on and the update is there. The same is true with web apps.

I've been dealing with this type of technology for more than 30 years and this is the best concept I've seen for the "typical" user. If you're accustomed to having multiple photoshop images open with 12 layers in each while playing a video, listening to iTunes and doing Microsoft Office updates...well this product might not be for you. However, if you can visualize an analog in the web app world for nearly everything you do, then you'll love the whole concept of cloud computing.

No more backups!

str8up 05-28-2011 03:05 PM

Yes this all makes perfect sense to me. The cloud is the next big thing for many reasons. No longer will we have to install programs, keep them updated and ponder if we need to buy the latest version or not. Plus the cloud is accessible from any computer, anywhere, anytime. As an added bonus you can also access this same cloud from many other devices including smart phones and book readers. How cool is that?

donhuttod 05-28-2011 10:21 PM

Redundancy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrome-Guy (Post 302)
from my understanding......

All the programs and app's you use are stored on the internet (server maybe?) So really, no programs are running off of the Samsung/Acer unit instead it's running from a online server.

i may not have the best understanding of it, but anyone who fully does, please correct me if im wrong

If a million of us installed "Chrome for Dummies" (a fictional title, I hope) would there be a million copies in the cloud?

6sigma 05-29-2011 01:57 AM

Think of most apps as web pages. If a million of us visit Google's search page, it doesn't mean that a million copies must be on Google's servers.