Chromebox Chromebook DIY - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Chromebox Chromebook DIY

Is it possible to build your own Chromebox using either a Mac Mini, Apple TV, Boxee, or something like that? I would love to build my own to use as my desktop. I love the form of a small box, and already have a Mac Mini and Apple TV.... but would prefer to try out Chromebook/Chromebox. I just don't want to have to subscribe or pay $20- $28 per month for one. Would love to make my own / DIY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 PM

While its not exactly DIY, I successfully installed ChromeOS on a Dell Mini 9 netbook (16 GB SSD and 2 GB RAM) I bought in 2008. I used the 13 May 2011 build from Index of /files/cto The Read Me instructions were very helpful, but incomplete as it doesn't tell you how to get the WiFi to work.

For that you will need to take an additional step to enable the WiFI using instructions from here: Dell Updates Their Chromium OS Build for Dell Mini With Wifi - Download Now !! | Chrome Story

Note that to date the build does not support Java apps/applets. I found this out trying to log into my work wireless network which requires the machine to run a java applet. <:-O Probably just as well as I don't need another distraction at work... :-)

Otherwise it works fine on my home wireless network.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Nice! I'd like to try that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page