problems with external hard drive - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

problems with external hard drive

HI folks

Yet another problem with my new chrome book. I have a external hard drive with all my things back up on it from my macbook. When I plug it in it is extremely slow I cant move down the page to see contents. some things will show a picture but most wont. It has a USB 3.0 and I even plug it into the usb 3 port but still nothing.
It was formatted on my mac extended journaled. I disabled the journaling but still nothing.

I bought the chromebook as I only surf on the net and watch tv programs. But I do wish to access my items on my external drive as my mac is quite old now and I thought this would be a great alternative. If I cant get access to my files then I would have to send it back, which I would hate to do.

Any thoughts please. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

External drive...

Hi Viking...

Do you think it's possible, that the external drive you're testing, needs more power and cannot get that from the Chromebook... When used with a Mac or main computer, it's likely that the available power is greater than that it can draw from the CB...

It's just a passing thought, because I do have an external drive, that has two USB leads attached, one for data, the other for extra power...

I know yours isn't like that, but it's the overall power factor I'm considering here...

I have some external gear handy and I'll try to simulate what you're experiencing later today ~ time permitting... To date, I've only used flash drives and SD cards in mine... Both work exceedingly well...

Robbie D....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

More thoughts and findings...

Hello again Viking...

Just connected two of my external hard drives (one at a time) each sporting 60GB of space to my Chromebook... They were NTFS formatted... Had no problems reading the content on either...

Those files you were having problems viewing, can you remember what size files they are??? You might well know this, but FAT formatted equipment, (supposedly) cannot store documents that are greater than 4GB in size... Might that be a reason why some of yours won't open properly or are a bit slow in doing so??? Are they big files??? Kinda fishing for ideas here ~ finding it a really interesting project...

Can't offer anything else at the moment, but I will keep searching ~ time permitting...

Regards...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I re-formatted my drive to fat. but it take forever to load up the contents to chromedrive. if 4gb is the max it can handle then that makes sense. its the same as copying files over to the drive takes forever. thats one downside of a chromebook. files dont open quick or transfer over quick enough
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think you may have found an answer of sorts there Viking... I can't think of any other reason...
I've found that files of a reasonable size, do transfer without a problem, but the larger they are, the slower the process...
No doubt that probably brings the speed/power of the processor and the size of the RAM into the equation...
But ~ at the buying price, one needs to accept some hang-ups...