Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Samsung Chromebox (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/19-samsung-chromebox/)
-   -   Wi-Fi or 3G? (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/19-samsung-chromebox/253-wi-fi-3g.html)

bells-n-whistles 05-30-2011 10:20 AM

Wi-Fi or 3G?

I read that Samsung will be launching both a Wi-Fi and a 3G Chromebook. The Wi-Fi will be somewhat cheaper, but if you can't use it everywhere, is it worth buying?

6sigma 05-30-2011 10:28 AM

Yes. WiFi is nearly ubiquitous these days.

Clinquant 05-30-2011 11:02 AM

Wi-Fi may actually be the better choice - you have to pay fees for 3-G. I don't think the Acer model even offers 3-G, because it's probably not worth it.

Googlegal 05-30-2011 01:30 PM

The only reason i would get a 3g is for when I go camping on the river.
I think Acer is going to offer a 3g version as well. But nearly everyplace has free wifi these days...

k21t11 05-30-2011 07:07 PM

I think that if you are going to be using it at home most of the time, then a Wi-Fi model would be better. If you are on the road a lot, and don't want to be hunting for hotspots, then 3G is better; in my opinion, anyways. :)

Magnum 05-30-2011 11:12 PM

I think Wi-Fi is the way to go. 3G is slow, and you're always going to be counting the MBs to make sure you aren't charged an arm and a leg by going over. With an internet only (nearly) device, 100 MB/month probably wouldn't come close to lasting 30 days for most people.

Remember, the cloud is supposed to change the way we think about computing. 100 MB will probably be the "emergency only" choice, not the bread and butter.

Bling-Bling 05-31-2011 06:14 AM

I know I'm going with Wi-Fi. It ends up being a whole lot cheaper in the long run. You can go almost anywhere and pick up a Wi-Fi signal.

cloudyone 05-31-2011 08:07 AM

I am undecided though leaning towards WiFi too. I could only justify 3G in my current job/leisure situation if I could get a pre-pay data plan. Then I could buy time when I was confident that I would actually need it.

OldMcclintic 05-31-2011 03:38 PM

I think that I'll go with WiFi just because it'd probably just be a waste of time and contracts to get the free 100 MB/month. And on top of that, I'm not gonna pay for 3G, too much money!

zora 05-31-2011 04:30 PM

I am still pretty reluctant about the whole 3G thing. The way you pay for the data is not easy to understand and the unlimited plans make you wonder. I prefer wi-fi myself.