Google Chromebook Forums banner

Java(TM)

27K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  glmyers 
#1 ·
How Java (TM) shall work?;)

#4 ·
That would be great news. I think that in order to be a success with the mainstream consumer, Chromebooks need to GIVE you a new experience AND do what people are used to. If they can't do Netflix, that's just one more ***** in the armor. Whether you use it or not, I think it's a huge part of the online experience for a lot of people.

I hope Google gives people a reason TO get a Chromebook instead of reasons NOT to. (I think they're on the right track).

#7 ·
Html5 uses JavaScript! It is the Ogg file, that works in Firefox, Opera and Chrome and not the MPEG4 and WebM. Netflix needs to write there code like this.

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls">
<source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg" />
<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<source src="movie.webm" type="video/webm" />
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Simple fix! Not Chromebook problem. Microsoft just thinks they can bully everyone has to do everything there way

al

#8 ·
Yes but HTML5 doesn't have support for DRM which means you could right click save as...and download the movie...if that happens Studio's kill Watch Now.

Digital Right Management is required for copywrited works. That is life. Before Netflix used to use plugin but they dumped it for Silverlight because playback worked better on more stuff (Mac and Windows). They also have a background API that that streams to IOS and Android. It has special signed keys that allow access to the service. Netflix is fully HTML5 now but video support won't be...ever...there is no standards for encrypted DRM in HTML and there shouldn't be...

#9 ·
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Netflix Chrome Book Log-in</title>
</head>

<section>

<embed src="https://signup.netflix.com/Login?country=1&rdirfdc=true" width="900" height="780" />

</section>
</html>

Netflix puts a link in there log-in page to this Page above "Netflix Chrome Book Log-in". The whole netflix site becomes embedded in the above html5 page. I imagine background API that that streams to IOS and Android would now streams to Chrome Book. Silverlight sucks. Your logic alludes me, if the Netflix site is running on HTML5 how would encrypted DRM work?

My point is if your put this above page on your own domain you could login in to netflix and watch movies on your Chrome Book too. This is the power of the embed tag in html5.

#10 ·
Authentication is not the same thing as encryption.
Netflix need both.
They need you to log in, so that they know who you are and hence are entitled to rent movies. They also need encryption to ensure that when you rent a movie, they can be sure you won't save a local copy which would be easy for you to share with your thousands of friends!

Authentication doesn't need any clever browser tech and works on just about anything. The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed is hard and not in the HTML5 standard.

#11 ·
The HTML5 standard is a work in progress and not a standard written in stone. Things that don’t work this month may just start working next month. It appears Netflix is converting their site to run on HTML5, but not all of it.

“They also need encryption to ensure that when you rent a movie, they can be sure you won't save a local copy which would be easy for you to share with your thousands of friends!”

In Chrome Book the movie runs in Ram and gets nowhere near the hard drive. The hard drive is only 16GB and a movie would fill like a ¼ of it. The movie only running in Ram is the beauty of Chrome Book making it a nature media for Netflix.

“The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed is hard and not in the HTML5 standard.”

If I can embed a PhP site running a server side SQL data base into a virtual seamless window running with HTML5; I most certainly can embed ““The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed in to the HTML5”.

When I am in the virtual window; I am not in the HTML5 standard anymore. The PhP and XML can run parallel to HTML5. This gives One the power of a server side data base with in html5.

The only downside to all this is: the going rate of wireless cellular data is about 10 dollars a gigabyte up to 5 gigabytes after which thing start getting expensive. Thus Netflix may block movies to be run on wireless cellular connection, but allow them on a unlimited WiFi connection.

Not to long ago some Kid racked up a 20,000 dollar bill in one month, on his cellular account, watching movies.

al

#12 ·
In Chrome Book the movie runs in Ram and gets nowhere near the hard drive. The hard drive is only 16GB and a movie would fill like a ¼ of it. The movie only running in Ram is the beauty of Chrome Book making it a nature media for Netflix.

That may be true, but if Netflix can't be sure you're running a chromebook and not a desktop pc with an enormous disk, torrent server and chrome browser.

“The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed is hard and not in the HTML5 standard.”

If I can embed a PhP site running a server side SQL data base into a virtual seamless window running with HTML5; I most certainly can embed ““The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed in to the HTML5”.
I'm sure it is possible, and I'm sure netflix and others are working on it, but it is not as simple as using the <video> tag. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that <embed> tag in your earlier example is a reference to a JAVA object, no? JAVA doesn't work on Chromeos.

The only downside to all this is: the going rate of wireless cellular data is about 10 dollars a gigabyte up to 5 gigabytes after which thing start getting expensive. Thus Netflix may block movies to be run on wireless cellular connection, but allow them on a unlimited WiFi connection.

Not to long ago some Kid racked up a 20,000 dollar bill in one month, on his cellular account, watching movies.
Ha ha - that's not Netflix's problem. It's yours. They have no way of telling how much your connection is costing, and no interest in finding out. The only thing they can detect is the connection speed, and adjust the quality of your stream to suit. Managing your internet billing is your problem. Managing your child's internet billing is your problem too.

#15 ·
The lack of a Java client is the sole reason our school is not ordering any Chromebooks. Our teacher grade book requires a Java runtime environment to operate and so do several programs used in our science, math, and language arts classes. It is a glaring weakness that kills the usefulness for Chrombooks in the education market. It really is a shame because I would love to have a couple hundred of these for our school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.