Java(TM) - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM

The HTML5 standard is a work in progress and not a standard written in stone. Things that don’t work this month may just start working next month. It appears Netflix is converting their site to run on HTML5, but not all of it.

“They also need encryption to ensure that when you rent a movie, they can be sure you won't save a local copy which would be easy for you to share with your thousands of friends!”

In Chrome Book the movie runs in Ram and gets nowhere near the hard drive. The hard drive is only 16GB and a movie would fill like a ¼ of it. The movie only running in Ram is the beauty of Chrome Book making it a nature media for Netflix.

“The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed is hard and not in the HTML5 standard.”

If I can embed a PhP site running a server side SQL data base into a virtual seamless window running with HTML5; I most certainly can embed ““The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed in to the HTML5”.

When I am in the virtual window; I am not in the HTML5 standard anymore. The PhP and XML can run parallel to HTML5. This gives One the power of a server side data base with in html5.

The only downside to all this is: the going rate of wireless cellular data is about 10 dollars a gigabyte up to 5 gigabytes after which thing start getting expensive. Thus Netflix may block movies to be run on wireless cellular connection, but allow them on a unlimited WiFi connection.

Not to long ago some Kid racked up a 20,000 dollar bill in one month, on his cellular account, watching movies.

al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

[quote=alhanson;3956]
In Chrome Book the movie runs in Ram and gets nowhere near the hard drive. The hard drive is only 16GB and a movie would fill like a ¼ of it. The movie only running in Ram is the beauty of Chrome Book making it a nature media for Netflix.

That may be true, but if Netflix can't be sure you're running a chromebook and not a desktop pc with an enormous disk, torrent server and chrome browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhanson View Post
“The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed is hard and not in the HTML5 standard.”

If I can embed a PhP site running a server side SQL data base into a virtual seamless window running with HTML5; I most certainly can embed ““The encryption for movie playback, together with advanced stuff like automatically switching the stream quality based on your connection speed in to the HTML5”.
I'm sure it is possible, and I'm sure netflix and others are working on it, but it is not as simple as using the <video> tag. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that <embed> tag in your earlier example is a reference to a JAVA object, no? JAVA doesn't work on Chromeos.

Quote:
The only downside to all this is: the going rate of wireless cellular data is about 10 dollars a gigabyte up to 5 gigabytes after which thing start getting expensive. Thus Netflix may block movies to be run on wireless cellular connection, but allow them on a unlimited WiFi connection.

Not to long ago some Kid racked up a 20,000 dollar bill in one month, on his cellular account, watching movies.
Ha ha - that's not Netflix's problem. It's yours. They have no way of telling how much your connection is costing, and no interest in finding out. The only thing they can detect is the connection speed, and adjust the quality of your stream to suit. Managing your internet billing is your problem. Managing your child's internet billing is your problem too.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:08 PM

I just want to play minecraft on my chromebook.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Html5 uses JavaScript! It is the Ogg file, that works in Firefox, Opera and Chrome and not the MPEG4 and WebM. Netflix needs to write there code like this.

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls">
<source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg" />
<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<source src="movie.webm" type="video/webm" />
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Simple fix! Not Chromebook problem. Microsoft just thinks they can bully everyone has to do everything there way

al
JavaScript is code - Java is client software. They're not the same thing entirely.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM

The lack of a Java client is the sole reason our school is not ordering any Chromebooks. Our teacher grade book requires a Java runtime environment to operate and so do several programs used in our science, math, and language arts classes. It is a glaring weakness that kills the usefulness for Chrombooks in the education market. It really is a shame because I would love to have a couple hundred of these for our school.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page