Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Samsung Chromebox (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/19-samsung-chromebox/)
-   -   Would you buy this? (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/19-samsung-chromebox/386-would-you-buy.html)

Malone 06-13-2011 12:20 PM

Would you buy this?

Instead of the Chromebook, I mean?

Personally, I don't see the point. If you want a desktop version of Chrome OS, can't you just download it to the desktop computer that you already have? I don't get it. :confused:

Chrome-Guy 06-13-2011 12:33 PM

The point of the ChromeBook is to make it the ultimate on-the-go web browsing computer that can't get viruses, spyware, etc . The main benefit is not having to store anything on the computer your using (ChromeBook), everything is in the "clouds". So in the end you get super fast browsing speeds.

Your desktop/laptop on the other hand with Chrome OS installed may not run as efficiently since you do/can store a lot of information and media on your HD, prone to viruses, maybe not be eligible for special ChromeBook features/offers if not on a ChromeBook device.

Carney 07-05-2011 10:29 AM

I wouldn't buy it instead of a ChromeBook, but I'd buy it to supplement one or two, so as to do more serious, extended work, with a true full size desktop keyboard and mouse, and big monitor.

Madiddy 07-06-2011 03:26 PM

Why

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malone (Post 2819)
Instead of the Chromebook, I mean?

Personally, I don't see the point. If you want a desktop version of Chrome OS, can't you just download it to the desktop computer that you already have? I don't get it. :confused:

I don't see why you would want to put it on your current desktop? Wouldn't you want to keep your desktop fully functional? Or how about the fact that it would take up 50 times the space a Chrombox would.

Driod 07-06-2011 04:55 PM

My Imac really doesn't take up all that space its pretty slim just a really big screen that all, as far as using a Chrome os at home it defeats the purpose-ish as its ment for mobility and files on the go and being able to go anywhere with your chrome book and have the files anywhere without transferring them frmo place to place, it more of a ease of use thing, also come equipped with data(optional feature) and wifi.

russcasey 07-06-2011 06:03 PM

The market for chromebooks IMHO is corporate customers. Organisations that are investing in thin clients for their staff could get chromeboxes for a similar price and discard a load of windows terminal servers. Places like hotels or libraries that provide public web access terminals would do better with them than locked down Windows boxes too.

I don't see them being so popular in the home. A desktop machine and a chromebook is way more functional, as you can use the desktop machine as a server.

seanreads 07-07-2011 09:24 AM

Why not just install ChromeOS on VirtualBox? Of course, I haven't looked into doing so, but that would be my first alternative to buying a dedicated ChromeOS box.

Jason 07-11-2011 12:04 PM

I want one for a HTPC if they bring Netflix over and it will run Hulu Plus in 720p HD...

BenBarker 07-12-2011 07:19 AM

I wouldn't get your hops up for Netflix. Not any time soon at least. I think Chromeboxes are pretty cool. Of course my home office is tiny and I need every little bit of space I can get. Still, I am not sure if I would replace my desktop with a Chromebox or supplement.

Jason 07-14-2011 10:24 AM

Netflix is coming to ChromeOS ..it is just when.