Would you buy this? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Would you buy this?

Instead of the Chromebook, I mean?

Personally, I don't see the point. If you want a desktop version of Chrome OS, can't you just download it to the desktop computer that you already have? I don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM

The point of the ChromeBook is to make it the ultimate on-the-go web browsing computer that can't get viruses, spyware, etc . The main benefit is not having to store anything on the computer your using (ChromeBook), everything is in the "clouds". So in the end you get super fast browsing speeds.

Your desktop/laptop on the other hand with Chrome OS installed may not run as efficiently since you do/can store a lot of information and media on your HD, prone to viruses, maybe not be eligible for special ChromeBook features/offers if not on a ChromeBook device.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 AM

I wouldn't buy it instead of a ChromeBook, but I'd buy it to supplement one or two, so as to do more serious, extended work, with a true full size desktop keyboard and mouse, and big monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Instead of the Chromebook, I mean?

Personally, I don't see the point. If you want a desktop version of Chrome OS, can't you just download it to the desktop computer that you already have? I don't get it.
I don't see why you would want to put it on your current desktop? Wouldn't you want to keep your desktop fully functional? Or how about the fact that it would take up 50 times the space a Chrombox would.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM

My Imac really doesn't take up all that space its pretty slim just a really big screen that all, as far as using a Chrome os at home it defeats the purpose-ish as its ment for mobility and files on the go and being able to go anywhere with your chrome book and have the files anywhere without transferring them frmo place to place, it more of a ease of use thing, also come equipped with data(optional feature) and wifi.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

The market for chromebooks IMHO is corporate customers. Organisations that are investing in thin clients for their staff could get chromeboxes for a similar price and discard a load of windows terminal servers. Places like hotels or libraries that provide public web access terminals would do better with them than locked down Windows boxes too.

I don't see them being so popular in the home. A desktop machine and a chromebook is way more functional, as you can use the desktop machine as a server.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 AM

Why not just install ChromeOS on VirtualBox? Of course, I haven't looked into doing so, but that would be my first alternative to buying a dedicated ChromeOS box.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:04 PM

I want one for a HTPC if they bring Netflix over and it will run Hulu Plus in 720p HD...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't get your hops up for Netflix. Not any time soon at least. I think Chromeboxes are pretty cool. Of course my home office is tiny and I need every little bit of space I can get. Still, I am not sure if I would replace my desktop with a Chromebox or supplement.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Netflix is coming to ChromeOS ..it is just when.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page