Benefit of a Chromebox? - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
I guess I just don't really get the whole "Chromebox" thing. First of all, what is it? A really small version of a desktop tower? Secondly, why would you buy one, besides to save space on your desk? What's the benefit of a Chromebox?
For me space is a really important issue. I hate having a desk taken up by a huge box, so a smaller Chromebox would be great. I also hope it would minimize the wire clutter issue my desktop has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Reading this thread made me convinced that indeed the Chromebox could most probably be suitable for use alongside a Chromebook. However, I do not plan on purchasing it immediately.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM

help us in many ways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

Thank you for the news, I feel the galaxy s4 leather case is very good, very smooth and very upscale look to the first vision, to ensure comfortable, easy to distort, to avoid the loss of features to make you like
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Same idea as the Mac Small, only operating Firefox OS. I'm very enthusiastic about finding out more about Chromeboxes. Think about a reasonably spec'd pc machine operating Firefox OS...I'm in.

525 America
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Not having to have the windows constantly causing problems and not having to pay the outrageous price for Apple products is the reason I have a Chromebook and LOVE IT!!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ruellesmith
The Chromebox is by far my favorite. It drives a large monitor at exceptional quality like mac. Chromebox costs more than a laptop makes sense to me. The best hardware I have seen that could be made into a Chromebox is made by Intel.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 PM

The nice thing about Chromeboxes is that most of them have a VESA mount, so you can mount it directly to your monitor. Out of the way and easy wire management.

The specs aren't really any better than your average Chromebook. In fact, benchmarks have shown a few Chromebooks are still faster.

But as someone else said, the big thing is the space savings. Sure, you could attach a monitor and keyboard/mouse to your Chromebook, but you'd still have it sitting there on your desk taking up space. God knows I don't have that much free space on my desk as it is.

Last edited by Tim-APCR; 11-16-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 11:08 PM

One other tidbit about Chromboxes: there's a business videoconferencing variant that Dell and ASUS have come out with called Chromebox for Meetings.

They bundle a Logitech HD cam, a Jabra speaker\microphone and a wireless remote\keyboard for $999. It's designed to be easier for smaller businesses to use than something by Cisco or Polycom.

HP also has a Chromebox for Meetings version (Core i7), but they don't have it bundled with anything at the moment.

Chromebook: Acer C720
Chromebox: HP Chromebox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 AM

Just ordered the ASUS Chromebox from Amazon. I will give it a try for the primary home computer (Old one is noisy and not really used for much.) If it isn't enough for main desktop use, it will become the entertainment machine (on the big TV) and pack it for trips, smaller than a laptop, use it in the hotel room.
It should be good enough for 99% of our stuff at home. (Facebook, flash games, light office tasks, etc) Anything more, we have a couple of laptops for.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page