Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Samsung Chromebox (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/19-samsung-chromebox/)
-   -   Benefit of a Chromebox? (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/19-samsung-chromebox/456-benefit-chromebox.html)

Pen 06-18-2011 11:16 PM

Benefit of a Chromebox?

I guess I just don't really get the whole "Chromebox" thing. First of all, what is it? A really small version of a desktop tower? Secondly, why would you buy one, besides to save space on your desk? What's the benefit of a Chromebox? :confused:

Droymac 06-19-2011 04:22 AM

Same concept as the Mac Mini, only running Chrome OS. I'm very interested in finding out more about Chromeboxes. Imagine a decently spec'd desktop machine running Chrome OS...I'm in.

russcasey 06-19-2011 04:52 AM

I think the benefit is more for corporate use. Organisations that would otherwise consider thin clients and use web apps for most of their corporate systems would find them more cost effective than thin clients, as there would be no need for terminal servers.

tbull 06-19-2011 09:53 AM

I agree with the last poster about the chromebox being more suited for corporate use. I had not even considered buying it myself. Perhaps in the near future I will need it, who knows?

Timmy 06-20-2011 05:53 PM

It's a desktop version of Chrome OS and it is for people who prefer to have bigger monitor than the Chromebooks.
Looks to me like a great replacement for my PC tower which gets really noisy as the ageing fan inside is working real hard to cool the system off.

Driod 06-20-2011 06:21 PM

it to be a cheap simple solution instead of having a windows tower desktop where as you would still need to buy many things, where as a chromebox its like a mac mini simple and easy to use light and somewhat portable!

Jason 06-22-2011 01:31 PM

I want to get one for my 8 year old son. Just something for basic net and to watch video on...we don't have TV so all our programming is via Internet sites...

Carney 07-05-2011 11:27 AM

Bigger monitor size is the key. I'm thinking of getting two ChromeBooks (one for me, one for the wife), plus a ChromeBox for more "serious", sit-down work in our office room, especially family finances (credit union website, Mint, Google Docs, etc.), and the big monitor would help her to be able to better do photo editing and other art-related stuff than possible on a netbook screen.

Moe 07-05-2011 01:47 PM

Do you think that the Chromebox is a more serious device than Chromebooks? Do you think it will have more capabilities and power than the Chromebooks?

Carney 07-05-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moe (Post 4313)
Do you think that the Chromebox is a more serious device than Chromebooks? Do you think it will have more capabilities and power than the Chromebooks?

Typically, desktops have more capabilities and power per price dollar than notebooks. With other specs constant, notebook users pay a premium for portability, integrated monitor, keyboard, and mouse substitute, and battery.

So I do expect the ChromeBox to have more RAM, a faster chip, or whatnot.