Samsung Chromebox - What is it? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Samsung Chromebox - What is it?

Samsung Chromebox

In all the excitment about Chrome Notebooks, very few have focussed on the possibility of Google pushing Chrome OS to the desktop. I remember a few months ago writing about my vision of Chrome OS working on the nettop plaform. It seems that I wasn’t too far off; Google unveiled today Samsung’s ‘Chromebox’ which will work as a non-portable platform for their new operating system.

This points a to the possible trajectory that Google wants to take with Chrome OS. It is likely that the Internet giant will focus their new operating system on both the notebook and the Desktop platform, leaving Android OS in the tablet/smartphone market.

The device will begin shipping this summer alongside the Samsung Series 5 and the Acer Chromebook. The Chromebox will initially be aimed at business customers but we see no reason why Google won’t be opening the floodgates to the consumer market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Very appealing to me, I could never buy into the Mac Mini idea but the Chromebox will cover all the angles I need, access to the Internet and cloud stored documents, Netflix, various web apps, even games. I will be grabbing this for sure!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM

The question is whether it will be available to consumers or not... currently it is being touted for Business and for Education users.

I'm also curious what resolution it could support. Will it be able to run my 27" monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM
swb

"reportedly aimed at businesses" ... I would really like a home version with HDMI.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM

home version with HDMI for $299 has me sold!!!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM

I wholeheartedly agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromed View Post
home version with HDMI for $299 has me sold!!!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 PM

I'm really looking forward to the Samsung Chromebox. I run my business from home and can't wait to try this out. I use dual monitors now. I hope that won't have to change.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM

I agree with Makaria once you up-size to a bigger monitor or use dual monitors, it becomes very hard to transitions back into one monitor as there is no longer enough desktop space!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaria View Post
I'm really looking forward to the Samsung Chromebox. I run my business from home and can't wait to try this out. I use dual monitors now. I hope that won't have to change.
I also am on dual monitors. Being that the ChromeBox is a big step for google and the computing world, if you cant hook up your dual monitors to the ChromeBox right out of the box then eventually an adapter will be in place to help do that or an upgrade.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Good call! Dual monitor support will be awesome.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page