Win a Chromebook - Giving away 3 Free Chromebooks! - Page 24 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:16 AM

Can't wait to see who the winners are. Good luck everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluvsChrome View Post
That is good news and probably couldn't have come at a better time. Its been a very sad and difficult week...
My sob story above is the PRIME EXAMPLE as for why WE should ALL own a Google Chromebook......Nothing important ever lost again;
I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances there, but feel compelled to point out:
- Keeping backups has been good advice since computers were first created. You could have done this on a USB stick, or burnt a CDR. Both of these choices are cheap and readily available.
- You could have used Google Docs and other cloud apps from any laptop. This would work just fine on a borrowed laptop or public machine in an internet cafe or library.

You don't NEED a ChromeBook to avoid losing important data, you just need to be aware that computers can fail/disappear for unexpected reasons and take appropriate precautions.

I know it's spilt milk and all, but this advice could help others.
post #233 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Going without backup for data on any hard drive -- whether it's in an iPod or a brand new laptop -- is driving without a seatbelt... actually, it may be even more dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlviper View Post
Some great news guys.... the Chromebooks are finally SHIPPED by BestBuy and should be arriving to us in the next few days. As soon as we have them in-hand, we'll take some pics, announce the winners, and get the packages sent out!!!

More to come as soon as they arrive!
Sweet!
post #235 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM

I hope I'm not too late.
Done and done.
I like what I have been reading and learning.
post #236 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlviper View Post
We spoke with BestBuy today and they are suggesting a June 25th - June 27th shipping date.

I personally called Amazon as well to see if they could get us the Chromebook sooner, and the answer was no... they are on backorder. Will ship in "late June"
Thank you for the update, you should update your initial post because most users won't check on the 17th page like some of the more loyal visitors to the site.

keep the updates in that post so everyone knows what's going on.

Thanks can't wait to see who wins the chromebooks.
post #237 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 PM

this is post number 3

where's my **** chromebook!
post #238 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Banned

You Are Absolutely Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcasey View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances there, but feel compelled to point out:
- Keeping backups has been good advice since computers were first created. You could have done this on a USB stick, or burnt a CDR. Both of these choices are cheap and readily available.
- You could have used Google Docs and other cloud apps from any laptop. This would work just fine on a borrowed laptop or public machine in an internet cafe or library.

You don't NEED a ChromeBook to avoid losing important data, you just need to be aware that computers can fail/disappear for unexpected reasons and take appropriate precautions.

I know it's spilt milk and all, but this advice could help others.
You are absolutely right!!! I actually have stacks and stacks of CDR's that I have data backed-up to (learning years ago as a college student the importance of backing-up....THE HARD WAY), but unfortunately I haven't had any blank CDR's for a while nor have I ever had a USB (I think they are kinda spendy), and due to unfortunate circumstances I haven't really had the money to purchase anymore "cheap" CDR's or a USB.

So for quite some time now, I have been using Google Docs, Picasa, and Gmail (just to name a few) to store/save much of what I have, albeit not all of what I have! I live and breathe spending most of my time surfing the web...and not playing games, socializing, or chatting and such, but rather researching, learning, seeking knowledge and understanding and the only way I can take it all in or eventually take it all in is by saving, downloading, copying & pasting, bookmarking, and taking notes. Therefore, in one singe day I can rack up 10-50 data files and that doesn't even include the 1/2 a page to 10 pages of writing I do on a daily basis! To me, that's a lot of stuff...data... that accumulates very quickly!

(P.S. In regards to socializing I'd like to say that as a member in this forum I have done more socializing than I have ever done before I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it....and even without feeling the slightest bit guilty....cuz I'm learning so many new things! In this forum, I get to have my cake and eat it too )

So anyway, call it procrastination, taking things for granted, rushing, multitasking, air-headedness, or just plain laziness for why I do not "regularly" or "properly" back-up all my data. I get overwhelmed with all of my data files most likely in knowing that a person ought not just make 1 back-up but rather at the very least, 2 back-ups, right? So in knowing that (again, learning the hard way) when I go to do my back-ups it's a pain in the hinny for me and there is no doubt I over do it while being overly cautious resulting in....What do I need to save? Have I already saved it? Where is that saved? Where should I save this? Do I need to save it again? Have I made any changes since I last saved it?...and so on because I have so many things saved in so many places, and likely already saved so many times. Well, I am the type of person who needs everything in perfect order and needs everything perfectly organized (obsessive-compulsive???), cuz if it's not, I'm a complete dysfunctional mess, which is exactly what I've been since the moment I no longer had my own laptop!

Well again let me reiterate...You are absolutely right....Back-up, Back-up, Back-up.......
OR......
As I said before, get and use a Chromebook and all the little instances as I had won't ever again be a problem for poor and scatter-brained people like me because everything will be safely stored in the clouds. So do you NEED a Chromebook in order to prevent data loss? Absolutely not!!! And I don't recall ever saying or implying such a thing (but if I did....sorry, honest mistake) because I know first hand how important it is to back-up, back-up, and back-up some more. Oh ya, and I also know that while you are backing-up your data, you should also consider backing-up that same data to more than one location....you know, just in case one of those locations happens to also falter in one way or another....which let me tell ya, is such a bummer!

Personally I can't wait for the day I am a proud owner of a Chromebook and I no longer NEED to worry about backing-up my files here and there and everywhere, all the time....For my files will be stored (not backed-up) safely in the clouds.

And to conclude, I have an important FYI....even as I speak now, guess what....I am using my daughter's laptop! Nope, she didn't really sell it on e-Bay but rather only told me she did...I guess as a "pay-back". Mean, hu ? Ooohhh how relieved I was/am! I think more than anything, my previous post (my sob story) was said more out of being truly hurt rather than completely sick at losing all the important data I had stored on my daughter's laptop because to me, my family is everything and when compared to data files....well there is no comparison. BUT I must say....I did spend all my time last night and the better part of today ridding her laptop of everything belonging to me....for I was sick enough to determine I will never again leave anything on any other computer/laptop that doesn't belong to me...daughter or no daughter. So all the files I was boo-hooing over the other night....They're all in the clouds baby....and probably in a hundred other places too I'M ALL HAPPY ONCE AGAIN and will be even happier if I win a Chromebook!!!
post #239 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 AM

good luck to you! I would be happy if you won.
post #240 of 379 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:45 AM

keep us posted on the chromebooks

keep us posted on the chromebooks please.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page