Chromebook as a supplement, or replacement? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums
View Poll Results: Do you see ChromeOS as an answer to your needs, or part of the answer?
The Chromebook pretty much covers everything for me 7 31.82%
I'm not ready to throw away my current computer, but I definitely see reasons to get a Chromebook as well. 13 59.09%
I don't see why Google is bothering with this... 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Chromebook as a supplement, or replacement?

I think a large amount of the debating over ChromeOS seems to stem from the idea that it would be the computing solution for its customers, but it seems to me that Google isn't necessarily trying to corner the netbook/laptop market, rather supplement it. Personal storage has its own benefits in the home, but for those who are out and about the ChromeOS has a lot of advantages.

TL;DR Do you see the ChromeOS as a solution to your computing needs, or just part of the solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 PM

It is a solution but not in seclusion. I mean the whole idea of cloud services for media and document storage is great. Looking at it as a supplementary makes more sense in my own view.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
I honestly think I could use just ChromebookOS to do my computing, excited to try!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Smile

From My Research I Feel A Replacement From My Dell Mini To The Chromebook Will Be A For Sure Thing , Safety Is Superior To Any Mac Or Windows....
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM

For me it will probably stay just a replacement. To do some serious work (programming, rendering, video editing...) you will always need a powerful alternative to any netbook. At least for the foreseeable future. Still a great device I think.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM

I would just supplement it at first. I am not ready to give up on my old way of computing, but I do want to be a part of this new way.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM

I will eventually replace my computers for Google Chromebooks. Like any new piece of technology I will not jump in to that too fast. Instead I will gradually transition.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM

I'd like to replace an older windows laptop with a chromebook - but it needs to be able to run a content management system for web sites called WebYep. And, to date, webkit browsers don't run it correctly ... Iirc chrome is webkit-based ... If not a replacement, then a supplemental mobile system.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 AM

I think it depends on your situation and what apps are available. Any certain programs you use (like Photoshop) that aren't in the app store, you'll either need to find an "app for that" or stick with a more traditional computer.

However, the cloud is probably what the majority of people need the majority of the time, especially considering gmail and google docs are similar to MS Office (at least at a base level).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Is it not possible to install programs onto a chromebook? I mean, I know the whole point is to be faster, but there's still a few things I need to do locally on my harddrive, like edit video.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page