Can I use apps on my Chromebook? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Can I use apps on my Chromebook?

Hi all, I just registered here.

I am wondering if I can use WhatsApp, or other apps, such as Skype, Viber, … on my Chromebook.

On my Chromebook, I go to GooglePlay, I check “My Applications” and it shows a few apps I have downloaded, APPARENTLY. When I click on Skype, it says “installed” and “compatible with your device”. But when I click on “Install”, it says that it cannot be install on any device. I am lost.

I guess the Skype app is not installed on my CB. If it shows “installed”, maybe they are talking about my smartphone?

But if the Skype app is really installed on my Chromebook, how do I access it?

Thanks for your help.
montreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM

When I go to play.google.com I see the listing for My Android Apps, this is not my Chromebook app listing. For the Chromebook app listing you need to bring up Apps (lower left corner) to see everything installed, and use the Store to select new apps that are compatible with the Chromebook.
FYI - to pin or remove apps, hold down the alt key with a touchpad click to bring up the menu
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Trent,

I finally found this page yesterday : https://support.google.com/chromeboo..._topic=2589149

And I understand that SKYPE cannot be installed on my Chromebook. The equivalent is Hangouts. Thing is my friend in Panama doesn t have Hangouts on his smartphone, and old Samsung Ace II x. And my own smartphone is even older, and blacks out often when I use wifi. I m disappointed to see that there is no compatibility between 2 Samsung products, my Chromebook and my friend's Ace II.

So I will buy a new phone, who will support Skype and Viber. But I find the new models so big =^(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Hi...

Here is a guide on how to get Skype on your Chromebook...

Skype on a Chromebook in 10 easy steps - Coolsmartphone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page