Application for Skype - NO VIDEO just TEXT CHAT - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Application for Skype - NO VIDEO just TEXT CHAT

I've been looking for an app that will let me just type to my friends on Skype.

I very rarely do video or voice chat, so that is not at all a concern of mine....

More so, wanting to use text chat (instant messages) with some friends, from the chromebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
I've been looking for an app that will let me just type to my friends on Skype.

I very rarely do video or voice chat, so that is not at all a concern of mine....

More so, wanting to use text chat (instant messages) with some friends, from the chromebook.
I think you really need a Lenovo or Macbook.

On the Chromebook, you can use:
Google Voice (in the US, you can use it to make AND receive calls)
Google Hangout / Chat (voice and video chat)

On a Macbook or Windows, you would have to install the plugin. But on the Chromebook, they are built-in. Just turn on the Chromebook, sign in to your account, make a call / receive a call / start a video or text chat. No setup, no downloads, nothing to install

LD calls within US and Canada are free. You can make international LD calls as well. If you're lucky enough to live in the US of A you can port your number over to Google Voice and take advantage of their awesome features.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by makonnen View Post
I think you really need a Lenovo or Macbook.

On the Chromebook, you can use:
Google Voice (in the US, you can use it to make AND receive calls)
Google Hangout / Chat (voice and video chat)

On a Macbook or Windows, you would have to install the plugin. But on the Chromebook, they are built-in. Just turn on the Chromebook, sign in to your account, make a call / receive a call / start a video or text chat. No setup, no downloads, nothing to install

LD calls within US and Canada are free. You can make international LD calls as well. If you're lucky enough to live in the US of A you can port your number over to Google Voice and take advantage of their awesome features.
I'm in the USA, and I use Google Voice... And I have a google voice number... so, I should be all set in this respect. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

The main thing I miss, with there being no Skype on Chrome-book, is the sending of text messages... I despise having to use a tiny keypad, with the brain-banging predetermined text, when a keyboard is right in front of me... And with Skype's 5.5 pence a shot, it certainly would never break the bank...
Robbie D....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page