Newbie here with a connectivity question - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Newbie here with a connectivity question

Hi Folks,

I don't even have a Chromebook yet, but I do have a question. I understand that it is possible to connect to a desktop computer via a LAN. My question is this: If my wife is using the desktop, and I would like to run a program that is under my user account, would it be necessary to switch users on the desktop, or would I be able to access my account without her having to switch users? Sorry for such a basic question, but if you don't know the answer, it isn't really basic for you. Thanks for any replies.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 05:02 AM

Hi Ed62,
I would need a bit more information, but your user account is specific to your desktop. You could, of course, download your programme to a Chromebook and that would negate switching users.
Hope this helps.
Colin

A seminar on time travel will be held in two weeks ago.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Callin...
I've been pondering this question since 6.00 o'clock this morning, wondering if it is actually possible to access a secondary account on a working computer, that's currently running another account, to the one that needs to be accessed... (That almost sounds mumbo-jumbo...)

I know that access to a secondary machine is possible with something such as Teamviewer (or the like) but that's an entirely different concept as far as I'm aware, although with updates coming into being at alarming rates: there's no telling what will be available day by day...

The other interesting equation, is whether or not an external based programme, would be compatible with the CB OS, what with there being so many everyday programs, that the CB cannot handle at any costs...

I'm really intrigued by this topic and will be following it to it's final conclusion...

RD....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the £64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Thanks very much for the replies. I dabble a little in genealogy, and I received a newsletter, which I subscribed to. Here is a portion of what was in the newsletter: "While the Chrome operating system will only run Chrome programs, it is possible to use a Chromebook to access programs running on a remote Windows or Macintosh computer. The result is that you see the Windows or Mac program displayed in the Chromebook’s screen, and any keystrokes or mouse actions you make on the Chromebook are sent to the remote application. If you have a Windows or Macintosh computer at home, you can use this method to run Family Tree Maker, Reunion, RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree, AncestralQuest, and most any other program remotely. " So maybe some of you have learned something from a newbie passing on something in a quest to find answers raised by what he read. I'm guessing the desktop will need to have my user account active, but I'm not sure. If not, that would be great!

Ed
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:52 AM

Hi Robbie,
If the OP wants to access files on the desktop computer I would think Teamviewer or perhaps Tonido but if it's a PC programme specific to a "windows machine" (washes mouth out with soap) I doubt that would be attainable.
I bought my wife the HP Chromebook 14 a couple of months back and I liked the CB experience that much that I bought the Acer C720. We have separate google accounts but can sign in on either CB, also google drive allows file sharing so it's a good arrangement for us.
.....OOps....Rambling Alert....
Colin

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks...

Thanks for the heads up on the main question Ed... It's a fascinating project you're studying... I for one appreciate your sharing of knowledge on the subject... It's good to learn something new every day, and this is a big step in that direction: as far as I'm concerned...

You've given me something to rattle the grey cells, which in my case, tend to fall asleep unless they get something to keep them awake...

I hope you're successful in your quest...

RD....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Sounds like you're out of luck with this one Ed.
What if you split your PC into two workstations, would that be any help?

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Good set up...

Seems like you and yours have a good set up running there Callin and with the Google system being so user-friendly, you've got everything going for yah... However, if you do find a way to make the required connection (or at least a method of unlocking the door) I for one would appreciate your thoughts on the matter...

From your part comment (which made me smile) I take it you don't appreciate the finer aspect of the windows creation, which is, that without it in the first place, I doubt the CB would have come into being as soon as it has done ~ if at all...

'The mind boggles'....

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Info....

Hey Ed... Just come across this information... see what you think...

Google puts Windows on Chromebooks

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM

'The mind boggles'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Dalziel View Post
Seems like you and yours have a good set up running there Callin and with the Google system being so user-friendly, you've got everything going for yah... However, if you do find a way to make the required connection (or at least a method of unlocking the door) I for one would appreciate your thoughts on the matter...

From your part comment (which made me smile) I take it you don't appreciate the finer aspect of the windows creation, which is, that without it in the first place, I doubt the CB would have come into being as soon as it has done ~ if at all...

'The mind boggles'....
I may have sounded a bit harsh with Microsoft, Robbie, but I have had my fill of Windows clutter. CB, so far, seems like a breath of fresh air.
"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
Using the Chrome Remote Desktop app. seems to be a good way of accessing a PC, although for Ed's user account issue, wouldn't work.
I think a nice new CB for Ed's other half would be an answer, allowing Ed to work on his genealogy programmes.
Colin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page