About Chromebooks - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

About Chromebooks

We all know there is no perfect computer. Tell me 2 things you like most about Chromebooks in general (no particular make or model), and 2 things you dislike.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Nice one Ed...

This should make a nice conversational piece... Thanks for that Ed...

Mine is an Acer C720...

There are numerous things about Chromebooks, that make them attractive, but the one I like the best, is the quirkiness... There are a number of functions that are quite innovative, where the combination and use of certain keystrokes has shown how much improvisation can be built into such a small keyboard... I love it...

Next on my list of likes, is its size and weight... For what that is, this baby packs an adult punch, having the ability to hold its own against more expensive equipment, yet be easily transported in smaller types of handheld luggage... Well done Google...

As for dislikes, they're more difficult to pin down, although the inability to use Skype, springs readily to mind... I use that a lot and although the CB has it's alternatives, I doubt my associates would want to set up a new system, simply to connect with me...

My second 'no - no' is the pointer, that comes in two sizes only... Very large or very small... Adjustment on a sliding scale would be a big step forward...

At that, it's been something of a struggle to find the two most interesting features, matched against two dislikes, because for me, there are far more of the first to play around with than the second...

But come what may, I'm more than satisfied with my purchase and I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this amazing little machine...

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Robbie. It would be nice to hear from others because one man's trash is another's treasure. I'm sure some people will have different things they might consider more important in pros and cons.

For me, even though I still don't have one, there are pros and cons I can see from what little I know about them. It seems to me the biggest pro would be that it is always the current version you are working with. I have a first generation iPad that will not run many of the current apps because they require the newer version of IOS, and it is not available for me to download. So this is a strong point for me to consider when I buy again. Of course price is attractive for the CBs.

It's a little more difficult for me to list cons. I use Photoshop, mainly for restoration of old photos. I like the fact that I am able to keep a slightly older version of it on my computer because it fills almost all of my needs without needing the new version, which I understand is only available on the cloud, with recurring payments to use it. So while I understand most programs are free to use on the cloud with CBs, is this something that will change in the near future?

How will people be more or less forced to buy a new CB in the near future after initially buying one? We know how it works with the iPad, and there is almost certainly a plan to make people upgrade their CBs. They can't make CBs that will do everything people want, and have them last for 10 years. I expect the CBs of tomorrow will somehow need much more computing resources to run the programs in the cloud. Any comments from anyone about my thoughts?

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Nobody has any thoughts/opinions on this? I don't know if the batteries on the CBs are user replaceable or not. But if not, and they need to be factory replaced, that could be another way to get people to buy new ones every 2 or 3 years if they don't last longer.

Ed
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM

Re - about chromebooks

Pros:

+ Price point
+ Full size keyboard (vs tablet)
+ Fast boot time/wake up time
+ Almost virus free
+ Great for browsing

Cons:

- Versatility
- Limited local storage (Cloud will be an expense after 1 year free)
- Lack of alternative PC programmes

I feel the CB is a compromise between a Netbook and a Tablet, this suits my needs.
I also feel, as you point out Ed, there may be a time when a price will be put on the free to use programmes from the Cloud.

Colin.

A seminar on time travel will be held in two weeks ago.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting points f view...

You've both added some very interesting points of view here guys... Thanks for that...

I can see Google making some good changes as time goes by and I have a feeling that many of these additions will just be added as standard, without extra cost...

Naturally, with inflation being what it is, one can expect a price rise with forthcoming upgraded machinery, but I'm kinda mindful that Google will hold their prices at affordable levels, making other manufacturers do likewise, or increase the quantitative abilities of their equipment for minimal expenditure...

The clock is running... All that's needed is an abundance of patience...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the added thoughts, guys. I appreciate it.

Ed
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 AM

Samsung XE303, 11.6" Chromebook. Sorry, I can't limit it to 2 likes.

Like:
- I can do ALL my work on a $250 machine that runs off a cell phone processor and 2GB RAM. That includes managing my entire Windows Server domain, activity directory, all my servers from my $250 Chromebook.
- Everything I "install" on my Chromebook is actually linked to my Google Account so I take it everywhere I go.
- Designed from the ground up to be malware free b/c you simply cannot install anything on it
- Ability to network them together and manage them like Active Directory / Windows Server but all wirelessly from the cloud
- I dropped it about 4 or 5 times and it still works
- I truly don't care if I loose it. If I do loose it, I log into another Chromebook, once I sign in, all my stuff, apps, settings are there.
- That I don't care if someone picks it up after I loose it b/c you can't get into it since you can't "boot from a disk" or run any hacking programs on it
- That even if someone gets "into it", none of my data is stored on it
- That I can remote desktop into any Windows, Win Server or Mac computer
- That I can cloud print to any printer at home or work

Dislike:
- Inability to make screen casts, come on Google, how am I going to show everyone else how awesome this is?
- I honestly can't think of another one.

Last edited by makonnen; 05-30-2014 at 12:24 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Great response....

That's a great response Makonnen... You have obviously tested this little machine to its ultimate, unwrapping many features that others might never appreciate...

Personally, I've not used mine to the same extremes, although I have been more than moderately surprised by it's versatility...

I can imagine that what you have said, will answer the questions of many skeptics, who still wonder whether or not to move into the world of chromebook usage...

Once again ~ many thanks for your contribution...

Robbie D....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 AM

I'll have to admit that I've run this Chromebook through its paces.

But I'm a network / tech guy at my work. We were looking to deploy mobile computing throughout the organization and looked into Apple vs Google. Microsoft mobile (Win Phone, Surface) was never really in the running. iOS / iPad / iPhone / and enterprise managemnt (Apple Configurator / Mobile Device Management) vs. ChromeOS / Chromebooks / Android.

I would say Apple had the better apps and app store. But we do work so we have little use for silly apps and dumb games. We just need to get work done. We decided to go with Chromebooks and the Chrome Management Console that allows them to be wirelessly networked and controlled just like a Windows Server Domain. And all of this is done without installing any plugins or programs. It can be controlled from any device with a web connection and a browser including a cell phone if you really wanted to. The Chrome Management Console can control / enroll / network Android devices too. But we haven't deployed any Android devices.

The decision to go with Chromebooks comes from the fact that in our organization, most of the desktop application we used to use are now online. It was not even our choice. When we tried to upgrade, we were presented with one option --- a cloud based web app, no more desktop applications. So if we wanted to use our old data and keep the same software, we had to go into the cloud - no choice. Looking at the metrics of our network, people start the day using web browser, and end their day using the web browser. Most of the time, its Chrome. So it was a natural decision.

I've also started to learn Google Apps Script --- the framework that they provide to customize Google Apps. Pretty incredible what you can do with the framework they provide. The IDE is online too.

I would say I've taken it quite far. So much more to explore though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page