The OFFLINE Folder - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

The OFFLINE Folder

I might be missing something here. I wanted to have docs enabled offline. Now everything (docs jpg pdf mp3 mp4) in my G drive is in the offline folder and storage is rapidly diminishing.
So I would like to select just certain items to "offline"
To start again I disabled offline sync. I cannot remove existing items. I'm thinking maybe I move every thing in drive elsewhere. Then bring it back and just bring the items I want into the download folder. But of course that loses the sync feature.
any suggestions please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Haven't tried this myself exactly, but why not store the required documents on a memory stick or CD card, then remove all other non-essential material from the 'off line' folder, which will free up your memory...

That might be worth a try...

Robbie...

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

try it yourself

this appears to be not quite what you think. don't try this with anything you don't mind losing. for some reason some files transferred to other media will move and others appear to have moved but are essentially in window speak just a shortcut. If you delete the file in drive to remove it from the offline and then remove from trash, if it is just a shortcut on your media you are toast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Think I've a rough idea of what you mean Gchrome... I'll play around with that idea and see if it works for me...

Thanks for the heads up on that...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrome View Post
I might be missing something here. I wanted to have docs enabled offline. Now everything (docs jpg pdf mp3 mp4) in my G drive is in the offline folder and storage is rapidly diminishing.
So I would like to select just certain items to "offline"
To start again I disabled offline sync. I cannot remove existing items. I'm thinking maybe I move every thing in drive elsewhere. Then bring it back and just bring the items I want into the download folder. But of course that loses the sync feature.
any suggestions please
It is possible to select specific files to sync when you are using Gdrive under PC or Mac so I assumed that this would be possible under Chrome on a Chromebook. I couldnt find and settings tho and there was nothing I could find in documentation of help so I phoned the help line. They had to dig around to find the answer as it wasnt easily forthcoming. However, the definitive answer appears to be this. The Chomebook will sync up to 5Gb from your Gdrive and then when it hits that limit it will replace the oldest files with the most recently accessed. So yoo always have 5Gb of your most recently used files. I was told that it you want to keep some files on your Chromebook for reference and prevent them being deleted as too old you should copy them to the Downloads folder. Why the policy on Gdrive for PC is different from that on the Chromebook is a mystery... and very irritating.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page