Home Pages? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Home Pages?

Hi all, fairly new to the CB scene, so far so good just a strange quirk is bothering me and that is if I close Chrome then when I re-open it doesn't display my home pages, just the new tab page. I only get my home pages displayed if I log out and back in

...strange or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Not 100 percent certain exactly what the discrepancy is Heirpin, but if you simply close the lid, without logging off, when you lift the lid again, the page that faces you should be that which it was when you closed the lid...

If for instance, it was Amazon and you were playing music, that's exactly what you should encounter: the next time you raise the lid... Amazon, with music playing...

If, before you close the lid, you click on the red 'X' in the top right hand corner of the screen, you will be faced with the normal desk top picture and not your home page, or any other page you were viewing...

This is as I find it on my Acer C720, which I would imagine: is similar on most models...

Don't know if this will be of any help to you, but it's the best I can offer, working with/from the information presented...

Regards...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Robbie, you're not a million miles away from me, I'm just outside Kidderminster!

Yes I get the close the lid bit but my issue is I have 10 or so home pages which are always displayed initially when I log on but if I (usually accidentally) close chrome using the red X then when I reopen chrome, my home pages are not displayed which I can't understand as I'm still logged in so it must know my settings

Oh I should maybe point out that it is a shared CB so I do log out from time to time

I suppose its not a major problem, I'm just curious as to why it doesn't display my home pages unless it opens chrome immediately following a log in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Think I might be getting a clearer picture here... We need to look through this a bit at a time...

So... When you open chrome, do the home pages you're referring to, look a bit small copies, that sit below the Google search page, or are they simply 'TABS' that run across the top of the page, that you can simply click on to change pages... Info on the point would be of interest to me please...

Secondly, if you actually use the red 'X' (top right) then most certainly, any pages you had open, will be closed when you lift the lid again... That's a normal procedure with most lap-tops, CB's or desktop machines... It's what I'd expect to happen when I close my pages, by using the red 'X'...

Yes, although you are still logged in and Chrome will still remember what your home pages are, you will have actually instructed chrome to close those pages, by using the red'X'...

Now, if you want to close what you have showing (going back to the desk-top picture) but you still want to keep all those pages available to you at the click of a button, then simply put those pages to bed, by clicking on the 'MINIMISE' bar, which is the little box, two squares left of the red 'X' button... That will bring up the desktop image and all the apps on the shelf, wherever you might have the shelf placed - and at that: you can close the lid...

When you lift the lid again, simply click on the 'Chrome' icon, or the little blue 'g' and your initial or main home page will open (mine is the Google search page) with the remainder of your home pages, displayed as tabs across the top of the screen...

Besides that, you can of course, simply close the lid, with everything just as it is and the next time you lift the lid, it will be exactly the same as it was, with exactly the same page(s) showing... It won't use any more battery power leaving it in that state, as it will by logging off, or using the red'X' button... I often do that, especially if I'm listening to music...

Is that what you are trying to achieve??? Please let me know...

Regards...

Robbie...

P.S.... Pity you didn't live closer, I run training and user help sessions in our IT room, or my flat if there is a problem gaining access to the internet...
I live in sheltered accommodation and have permission to help those in the local community within our housing scheme... Do lots of that...

Let me know how you get on please...

Regards again...

Robbie....

Thanks Robbie, you're not a million miles away from me, I'm just outside Kidderminster!

Yes I get the close the lid bit but my issue is I have 10 or so home pages which are always displayed initially when I log on but if I (usually accidentally) close chrome using the red X then when I reopen chrome, my home pages are not displayed which I can't understand as I'm still logged in so it must know my settings

Oh I should maybe point out that it is a shared CB so I do log out from time to time

I suppose its not a major problem, I'm just curious as to why it doesn't display my home pages unless it opens chrome immediately following a log in

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Hi Robbie, yes I have them as tabs and I understand that when I close Chrome using the red X I am closing those tabs but then as I have them in my settings to open when I fire up Chrome, I expect them to reappear every time not just when I initially log on.

It does this ok on my Vista laptop but coincidentally there's a new task bar icon/button for Google apps on my laptop and if I open Chrome from that it too doesn't open up my home tabs!!!

I guess it must be the way its loading Chrome, maybe I need to speak to Google themselves?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry mate...

With something like this, it's somewhat difficult to try and visualise exactly what is taking place... I can solve most problems, but in essence, one needs to be working on the machine in question, or at least, have it in front of them to get the full picture...

Vista, seems to be something all of its own and appears to be able to do things that other equipment hasn't got a clue about... So pleased I never had one of those... Smile...

Let me know how you get on with Google... You can drop me a private message if you want to chat off topic...

Robbie....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page