offline document stuff - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

offline document stuff

Ok, next question
I get the whole thing about the chrome book being designed to work online etc., but as everyone knows we don't always have a web connection. One of the reasons I bought in is because I've seen thread after thread about how it *IS possible to work on docs offline, etc.
Super.

But here's the thing…
I am evidently bumping up against some designed-in boundaries. I want, for instance, to be able to open a draft template of a document while offline (no prob), and save it to a flash drive under a new name. Evidently THAT'S just not possible.
Am I missing something?
Any work arounds?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanwell View Post
Ok, next question
I get the whole thing about the chrome book being designed to work online etc., but as everyone knows we don't always have a web connection. One of the reasons I bought in is because I've seen thread after thread about how it *IS possible to work on docs offline, etc.
Super.

But here's the thing…
I am evidently bumping up against some designed-in boundaries. I want, for instance, to be able to open a draft template of a document while offline (no prob), and save it to a flash drive under a new name. Evidently THAT'S just not possible.
Am I missing something?
Any work arounds?

Thanks!

Part of what you want to achieve, is possible, but there is doubt about saving the work to a flash drive... See the following...

Ok…

Let’s suppose you create your draft (template) document in Google docs and you give it a name…

When it is complete, click on file and select: ‘Make a copy’... I suggest that, as a means of retaining the original just in case something goes wrong in the initial stages of learning how to do this…

That achieved, click on ‘File’ again and this time, select ‘Move to Folder’. Doing so, will put the template in the document folder on ‘Drive’ and a list will open, with the documents folder, top of the list… Tick with single click and tap on ‘Move’ at the bottom of that small page.

Then, open the files app, which is a folder-like image, on a round blue background… When that opens, click on ‘Drive’ , a second frame will open, with the documents folder at the top of the list… Click on ‘Documents’ and to will see your draft template in the opening list…

Place your pointer on the said file, hold the touchpad down and drag and drop that file onto the ‘Offline’ section, which is near the bottom of the list: and let go of all… A copy of the template, will now be in the ‘Offline’ section…

When you are off line completely, open google files and click on the ‘Offline’ tab to open and work on your template…

There is some doubt that a good copy of your file could be saved on a flash drive… I’ve found that when I try to save a file to a flash drive: it becomes corrupt…

May I ask why there is a need to save such to a flash drive???

Hope that helps somewhat… Please let me know how it works out...

Robbie….

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the £64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Further to the above and having done some investigating, YES, a file can be placed on a flash drive or an SD card, saving it thus, making it possible to edit same in Microsoft word or an Open Office word document if you have either of those programmes on a computer... The udated file can then be uploaded to drive if necessary at a later date...

Hope that is of interest to you...

If you're not sure how to achieve this, please let me know...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the £64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page