Welcome new members! Introduce yourself! - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM

4g

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromed View Post
I would expect that 95% of your browsing will be from Wifi, and you will only use 3g when you are on-the-road, or unable to get Wifi. It wasn't made to be a 100% 3g surfing computer... you will definetly have to wait for 4g for that, and still would probably want to find a wifi to save on data overage charges.
Good Point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Greeting from the New River Valley of Virginia! Never thought I would find the cloud computing concept of interest. Using a netbook, then an iPad, and other mobile devices has made me more enthusiastic about the idea. I was (and am) trying to find the right balance between an entertainment device and productivity device in a light portable form. Enter the Chromebook. Will it be the answer to my needs? Only time (and posts on this forum) will tell...
post #13 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM
jwr

Hey everybody my name is John and i am from Greece.

I currently have a Pc and a laptop but i spend most of the time on the iPad. I must say that i love Apple products a lot but i dont have the money for a macbook or iMac right now but i am hoping in the next two years i will own one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Ben

Hi there all of you,
I am a linux user with a few minimalist ideals, so you can imagine the chromebook has some features I find very attractive. The cloud concept as the heart of a machine is great, but as a tech I know enough to be backed-up without a cloud. Shifting the data security burden away from myself is some of what has attracted me to the chromebook, but I am scared of moving away from some place where I install The GIMP. Still, for web browsing and all of the apps available, chromebook sandboxing is an attractive feature.

Maybe I can try it for free by winning the contest here! If not, this looks like the place to learn about whether I would be able to do everything I hope to achieve.
post #15 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Ben and John... welcome to the site! I think you will find plenty of like-minded Chromebook enthusiasts here, and probably quite a few healthy skeptics as well
post #16 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Hey everyone im Jacob
The chrome notebooks sound awesome but do they have any storage at all, or is it all through the cloud?
Thank you in advance.
post #17 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi, I'm Mike in Tampa, FL.

I plan to get the Samsung Series 5 WiFi version ASAP.

I retired last month after 42 years in IT, mostly coding business applications; UNIX, C, Cobol, Perl and PL-SQL, amongst others. I've been a Linux user since 1995 (Yggdrasil was my first release). I like to tell people my first computer was an IBM 360-30 but my first PC was a Tandy 1000-HD; 640k, 10mb hard drive and DOS 2.01.

I've been following the Chrome OS development since inception; like others here I missed the cut for the CR48. I didn't really have a use case but now I do; I returned to school this week to get my missing degree and discovered that my 17" laptop is too big for the narrow classroom desks. I was immediately struck with iPad envy, but I don't like Apple. So that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
post #18 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Hi
So excited about the chromebook!
seems so awesome can't wait for it!
4g should defiantly come
post #19 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Hi, Rob here. While i'm intrigued, the advantages have yet to become clear to me. Very curious as to what makes this method superior.
post #20 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 AM

Hi All:
I found out about Chromebooks because my Macbook died and it's unclear whether I'll be able to get the data back. A lot of people seem to have reservations about cloud computing, I can't say that I do coz I'm tired of losing data. I downloaded chrome beta on my old PC laptop to get an early taste of the Chromebook experience and although it's a little slow I like what I'm seeing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page