Google Chromebook Forums banner

Welcome new members! Introduce yourself!

2M views 209 replies 154 participants last post by  PussEKatt 
#1 ·
Welcome all new members! ChromebookForums is soon to become the #1 largest Google Chromebook Forums, and we are supported by some of the top Google and Android enthusiasts! We are super-excited to be here for you guys, and to launch this site for the Chromebook.

At first we see only three Chromebook models: the old CR48, the Acer Chromebook HD, and the Samsung Chromebook but we expect within 6-12 months that there will be a plethora of new models from various manufacturers. We will be creating unique forum sections for each new model that comes out.

If you have any suggestions for new forum sections, please feel free to PM me with your suggestions!

Please introduce yourself, let us know who you are, where you are from, what kind of computer you currently have, and where your interest in the Chromebooks stands.

Welcome everyone!

ChromebookForum.com Admin

#2 ·
Hello Admin, thanks for making this forum. I'm new to the Chromebook and want to learn more about it. So far im finding a lot of useful information on here, and looking for more.

Right now i'm using a PC, i've had it for a while now and it's getting to a point that I need a new computer or laptop. It would be nice to have something compact and easy to carry that can work as fast as I need it to for my uses, maybe the ChromeBook is for me.

#4 ·
Thanks Admin! Ive Own an I.Os equiped imac27" and its great for what it is but i love contact with small laptops and netbooks because a majority of them now officaly suck.

Meanwhile i wait for google to release a 2'md generation Chrome Os book(i just never buy anythign 1stgen) As they figure out the flaws and bugs and any other issues. but im really looking forword to the new ones release by samung!

#5 ·
All the good old intro thread, I've been waiting for a forums on this Chrome OS laptops, from what i've been trying to do there isn't much support out there yet, as Google hasn't blown this laptop too big yet!

I currently am running a MacBook pro latest gen its great for what it is but i need something smaller, and a Window PC, from way back in 2004 and Nvidia 1st released the SLI Parallel Video Card Technology, it was supposed to be my gaming rig!

Cannot wait to use this little bugger !

#7 ·
Dumb Terminal?

I've worked for IBM since 1977 when all terminals were 'dumb' terminals providing access to the mainframe. The Chromebook seems to be a modern version of the old 3270 dumb terminal but with offline smarts, etc.

I tried to get a CR-48 but wasn't selected. I like the Chromebook concept enough that I'm going be an early adapter and probably buy the Acer from Amazon when they become available. I'm a big fan of Google so I'll already have things I can do on the laptop.

Welcome to the Brave New World, I hope I'm not buying a future orphan...

#12 ·
Greeting from the New River Valley of Virginia! Never thought I would find the cloud computing concept of interest. Using a netbook, then an iPad, and other mobile devices has made me more enthusiastic about the idea. I was (and am) trying to find the right balance between an entertainment device and productivity device in a light portable form. Enter the Chromebook. Will it be the answer to my needs? Only time (and posts on this forum) will tell...

#13 ·
Hey everybody my name is John and i am from Greece.

I currently have a Pc and a laptop but i spend most of the time on the iPad. I must say that i love Apple products a lot but i dont have the money for a macbook or iMac right now but i am hoping in the next two years i will own one.

#14 ·
Hi there all of you,
I am a linux user with a few minimalist ideals, so you can imagine the chromebook has some features I find very attractive. The cloud concept as the heart of a machine is great, but as a tech I know enough to be backed-up without a cloud. Shifting the data security burden away from myself is some of what has attracted me to the chromebook, but I am scared of moving away from some place where I install The GIMP. Still, for web browsing and all of the apps available, chromebook sandboxing is an attractive feature.

Maybe I can try it for free by winning the contest here! If not, this looks like the place to learn about whether I would be able to do everything I hope to achieve.

#17 ·
Hi, I'm Mike in Tampa, FL.

I plan to get the Samsung Series 5 WiFi version ASAP.

I retired last month after 42 years in IT, mostly coding business applications; UNIX, C, Cobol, Perl and PL-SQL, amongst others. I've been a Linux user since 1995 (Yggdrasil was my first release). I like to tell people my first computer was an IBM 360-30 but my first PC was a Tandy 1000-HD; 640k, 10mb hard drive and DOS 2.01.

I've been following the Chrome OS development since inception; like others here I missed the cut for the CR48. I didn't really have a use case but now I do; I returned to school this week to get my missing degree and discovered that my 17" laptop is too big for the narrow classroom desks. I was immediately struck with iPad envy, but I don't like Apple. So that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

#20 ·
Hi All:
I found out about Chromebooks because my Macbook died and it's unclear whether I'll be able to get the data back. A lot of people seem to have reservations about cloud computing, I can't say that I do coz I'm tired of losing data. I downloaded chrome beta on my old PC laptop to get an early taste of the Chromebook experience and although it's a little slow I like what I'm seeing.

#24 ·
I am a computer programmer and love client/server setups.

I believe the web is the future for apps. I used to dislike laptops but once I read about the CR-48, I was hooked.

I am currently learning HTML5 and eventually CSS3. I already have 2 projects I want to port to the web.

#25 ·
Hi everyone. I'm here because I'm looking for a new computer. I was browsing to get some ideas on the prices of notebooks, to complement the laptop I have already. When I first saw a blog post about the Chromebook I was impressed with the specs and price. Right now I don't know much more about them but I will be doing some research and picking people's brains here.

#28 ·
I am like some of the others who have commented. I am in this to learn and then see if it applies to me. While I would like to win a Samsung, I will buy a Chromebook soon. Lets just say I am excited about something really new and different for a change. I will not do away with my desktop and hope it will compliment them as well as transfer information back and forth. I am a PC user and started while using the original versions of dos and XPs from IBM.