Chromebook killer: ASUS Eee PC X101 runs MeeGo, costs only $200 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
jwr

Chromebook killer: ASUS Eee PC X101 runs MeeGo, costs only $200

This guy is definetely a Chromebook killer! Chrome OS and Meego is pretty much the same so why should i pay 150-200$ more? Here you have it people he new Eee PC X101 by ASUS that runs Meego and costs only 200$ Big difference between Chromebooks price 350$-500$. Moreover it is the thinnest netbook in the market and pretty sexy i must say. I am looking forward at it.

Quote:
ASUS is starting off its bevy of Computex announcements with the new Eee PC X101, a netbook that gives the 11-inch MacBook Air a run for its ultrathin money -- with a 950g weight and 17.6mm thickness -- while running either Windows 7 or... wait for it, Meego! The latter model will come out at the groundbreaking price of just $200. Check out its scarlet construction in the gallery below or jump past the break for our video hands-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Now, when is this coming out, and why hadn't I heard about it before? That is certainly affordable, and the hands-on feature is certainly unique for a laptop.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Don't kid yourself. In the long run there is no way that system is ever going to out preform Chrome books. Asus might be rich and powerful, but Google has that plus the influence to help drive the Mobil revolution. I mean sure that is great, but if it doesn't catch on it won't get upgraded and will end up being obsolete. Everyone knows who Google is, and that will help drive this netalution (net + revolution). Asus, come one, A LOT of people do not even know who the are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 PM

I disagree as well. For US$200, note the serious hardware limitations:

"The base model will have an 8GB solid state disk and a 3 cell battery." (from There’s a reason the $200 Eee PC X101 will be so cheap)

Plus it will not be optimized to run with the ChromeOS. You can of course pay more for a larger battery, etc but then the cost will be much higher than $200, putting it into Chromebook range.

Something to consider before you buy...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Affordable Chromebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post

This guy is definetely a Chromebook killer! Chrome OS and Meego is pretty much the same so why should i pay 150-200$ more? Here you have it people he new Eee PC X101 by ASUS that runs Meego and costs only 200$ Big difference between Chromebooks price 350$-500$. Moreover it is the thinnest netbook in the market and pretty sexy i must say. I am looking forward at it.

YouTube - ‪Asus EeePC X101 MeeGo netbook hands-on at Computex 2011‬‏
Loyalty people.....Loyalty. I will stick with the Chromebook....Thanks anyway
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluvsChrome View Post
Loyalty people.....Loyalty. I will stick with the Chromebook....Thanks anyway
I second that.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
jwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyone View Post
I disagree as well. For US$200, note the serious hardware limitations:

"The base model will have an 8GB solid state disk and a 3 cell battery." (from Thereís a reason the $200 Eee PC X101 will be so cheap)

Plus it will not be optimized to run with the ChromeOS. You can of course pay more for a larger battery, etc but then the cost will be much higher than $200, putting it into Chromebook range.

Something to consider before you buy...

why would you need even a drive? since it's all online. Plus Google didn't even mentioned if Chromebooks have a hard drive because maybe they don't have?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post
why would you need even a drive? since it's all online. Plus Google didn't even mentioned if Chromebooks have a hard drive because maybe they don't have?
The initial Chromebooks from Samsung & Acer have 16GB SSD's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Chromebooks have an SSD drive (which are fast and expensive)

But more importantly, Chromebooks have the support of Google. Meego will it even be around in 2 years from now? What happens if they aren't? Do you lose all your data?

I would be much more comfortable with a $170 Billion company, than a startup. I can also trust them a lot more with my private data.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page