what happens if you have wi-fi - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droymac View Post
Again, that's not the case with offline capabilities including Gmail, Docs, and Calendar, and not to mention HTML5. You can listen to music while you are working offline. I'm curious about the native media player, I'm not sure if you can setup playlists or even play multiple files without selecting a new song every time the last one finishes. Even so, there are HTML5 media player apps that solve this problem.
More reason of why for a lot of folks, this will never be their primary computing platform in it's current form. Offline functionality is very limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raminix View Post
More reason of why for a lot of folks, this will never be their primary computing platform in it's current form. Offline functionality is very limited.
Not even Google expects everybody to replace their primary computer with a Chromebook. I don't get what your point is.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
Personally I wouldn't get the WiFi only Chromebook, I would get the 3G ChromeBook with WiFi and suggest you do the same
Or learn how to do a wireless tether of your Android phone's data connection. I'm pretty sure I saw some one post about how they were able to do this with their Cr-48. For people with 4G phones, this is great news not only in that you are running off of a faster data connection, but it'll also save you the extra $70 of buying a 3G Chromebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
3G models will give you an alternative to wifi. Also, I've been able to successfully tether my android phone to my Cr-48, so you do have options if wifi isn't available.
I was just wondering about who it was that I remembered posting about tethering to their Cr-48. Did you do this with a USB cable or via Wi-Fi?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
The ChromeBooks have 16GB of storage, very little storage compared to a lot of new laptops on the market but I bet you can store a lot of offline Chromebook app's on that 16GB of storage as well as your music.

With no WiFi connection I do find the ChromeBook to be useless. Just like with smartphones if you don't have a data plan, whats the point of getting one?

Personally I wouldn't get the WiFi only Chromebook, I would get the 3G ChromeBook with WiFi and suggest you do the same
That basically sums up all I was about to say. I think the Chromebook would basically be useless with no sort of internet connection. The offline capabilities are also okay but I am one person who loves to be online all the time.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 04:22 PM

I used the USB cable. The Cr-48 saw it as an Ethernet port. Haven't tried wireless tether yet.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I used the USB cable. The Cr-48 saw it as an Ethernet port. Haven't tried wireless tether yet.
It was that easy...? Wow, I really hope it is the same for Chromebooks.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Yes, that's exactly what it means. No Wifi, no internet. Unless you have activated your 3G service from Verizon. Of course, there are several web apps that run offline(getting more everyday)..so its not a huge problem if you're not near a hotspot for a little while.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I've hooked my Samsung Chromebook up to my Nokia N97 mini via wireless tethering and it works fine.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:28 AM

Anyone tethering a ChromeBook to a smart phone to get the WiFi better have lots of cell phone minutes available. Right?

One could go with WiFi-only and do a lot of hanging out at various coffee shops.
That might be expensive too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page