what happens if you have wi-fi - Page 3 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taru View Post
I've hooked my Samsung Chromebook up to my Nokia N97 mini via wireless tethering and it works fine.
Do you need root access on your phone to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droymac View Post
It was that easy...? Wow, I really hope it is the same for Chromebooks.
Beyond easy. Just turn on USB tehering on the phone, plug it in and you're golden.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM

tethering on andriod phones is easy as long as you turn it on and your carrier/ data plan allows you to tethering han your set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taru View Post
I've hooked my Samsung Chromebook up to my Nokia N97 mini via wireless tethering and it works fine.
Same here. Tried the wireless tether to my HTC EVO running CM7 and it worked perfectly.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM

It sounds like your phone is rooted...which I'm considering for my Samsung Galaxy S 4G. I'm still very new to the whole thing, and don't know anything about custom roms.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM

Some carriers have unlimited data plans; you just pay a certain amount per month and you can use the 3G all you want. Verizon does, I think. Right?
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Some carriers have unlimited data plans; you just pay a certain amount per month and you can use the 3G all you want. Verizon does, I think. Right?
I am with T-Mobile and pay $30/mo for unlimited data. After you reach the 5GB cap they switch you over to Edge for the remainder of your billing cycle, but you can continue using more data on Edge without incurring any additional fees.

Right now I'm paying an additional $15/mo for wireless tethering, although I have been looking into rooting my Galaxy S 4G in hopes of saving the extra money via root-access tethering apps.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Looks like Verizon is ending unlimited data this summer:

Verizon: Say So Long to Unlimited Data | PCWorld
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droymac View Post
It sounds like your phone is rooted...which I'm considering for my Samsung Galaxy S 4G. I'm still very new to the whole thing, and don't know anything about custom roms.
Rooting is pretty easy, but unless there is a compelling reason to do so, (an app that you want to run that requires it or the desire to run custom kernels) you may want to stick with the stock rom. I rooted mine in order to install vpnc (for Cisco ASA VPN) and to remove a lot of the bloat apps that I would never use.

If you decide to root, check out Cyanogenmod (CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread) or Fresh (Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero Home of Fresh ROM and CDMA Android Development). They are both pretty solid roms. There are many out there, so don't limit yourself to just checking out those two.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raminix View Post
Rooting is pretty easy, but unless there is a compelling reason to do so, (an app that you want to run that requires it or the desire to run custom kernels) you may want to stick with the stock rom. I rooted mine in order to install vpnc (for Cisco ASA VPN) and to remove a lot of the bloat apps that I would never use.

If you decide to root, check out Cyanogenmod (CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread) or Fresh (Geek For Me Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero Home of Fresh ROM and CDMA Android Development). They are both pretty solid roms. There are many out there, so don't limit yourself to just checking out those two.
Thanks for the links! I've actually rooted with OneTouchClick before, so I've got that part down. Its the roms that sort of freak me out, but I would really like to remove bloatware and enable free wifi tethering so I can skip paying the extra $15/mo for it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page